Match at 37 Marker Exact Match, what does this mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replied
    Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
    Have you just assumed that you're not related to the two exact matches because of different surnames? Did you compare family trees with the two matches?

Besides looking for a common paternal line surname, you should be looking for a town or geographic region in common where the paternal line ancestors of the three of you lived. It's possible that there was a "non-paternal event" (NPE), an adoption or illegitimacy for instance, that is the reason the three of you don't share the same surname.

The purpose of DNA testing is to provide another piece of evidence in researching your family tree. NPEs do occur and you may never know that except by DNA testing. Ignoring what a 37/37 match may be telling you without at least considering the possibilities is just throwing away the money you spent on the test.
    Our "project co - ordinator" told me that a 37 marker exact match could be your father or could be a "cousin" with a common ancestor from 1,000 years ago. So where, praytell , do I research? LOL

Leave a comment:

• deniseneufeld
    replied
    None of the other people have taken the other test, but I guess if they really want to prove their case they would do the next 2 test

I am taking the family finder test since I am a woman and can't do the Y tests, do you think they will show up on my test results if we are related?

Denise

Leave a comment:

• T E Peterman
    replied
    Ramp it to 67 or 111 & see if the match holds.

Timothy Peterman

Leave a comment:

• deniseneufeld
    replied
    Well that is what we are trying to figure out, if our ancestor is the illegitimate son of a suspected common ancestor, the other matches in my cousins tree are relatives of this suspected common ancestor, they share his last name, but they are not exact matches to my cousin they are
    37 Marker Matches at Genetic Distance 2, how likely is it that they are related?
    They 97.76 at 12 generations, that is about the spot of the suspected ancestor and 100% at 28 generations.
    My cousins 37 Marker Exact match is
    4 83.49%
    8 97.28%
    12 99.55%
    16 99.93%
    20 99.99%
    24 100.00%
    28 100.00%
    this exact match also does not share the ancestor's last name, the family of the suspected common ancestor is claiming that this match is also the illegitimate son of this suspected common ancestor.
    Yes their ancestors all lived in the same town at the same time. And this Suspected common ancestor is known to have had 4 wives and 2 other illegitimate sons from other women he was not married to.
    Last edited by deniseneufeld; 7 June 2011, 06:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MMaddi
    replied
    Originally posted by 507 View Post
    I disagree. I have 2, 37 marker exact matches that I'm not related to. Well, no more than any other random person. We ALL share a common ancestor if you go back far enough.
    Have you just assumed that you're not related to the two exact matches because of different surnames? Did you compare family trees with the two matches?

Besides looking for a common paternal line surname, you should be looking for a town or geographic region in common where the paternal line ancestors of the three of you lived. It's possible that there was a "non-paternal event" (NPE), an adoption or illegitimacy for instance, that is the reason the three of you don't share the same surname.

The purpose of DNA testing is to provide another piece of evidence in researching your family tree. NPEs do occur and you may never know that except by DNA testing. Ignoring what a 37/37 match may be telling you without at least considering the possibilities is just throwing away the money you spent on the test.

Leave a comment:

• deniseneufeld
    replied
    Really??!!!! Has anyone else shared this same scenario?

[QUOTE=507;326501]
    Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
    I've bolded the part of the quote above which seems to me to be wrong.

If two men match 37/37, it's almost certain that they share a recent common paternal line ancestor, regardless of whatever surname each has. The common ancestor is most likely not more distant than a few generations ago. If you click on the FTDNA Tip button, as described above by Jim Barrett, you'll see that this is the case.[/QUOTE

I disagree. I have 2, 37 marker exact matches that I'm not related to. Well, no more than any other random person. We ALL share a common ancestor if you go back far enough.

Leave a comment:

replied
    [QUOTE=MMaddi;326494]I've bolded the part of the quote above which seems to me to be wrong.

If two men match 37/37, it's almost certain that they share a recent common paternal line ancestor, regardless of whatever surname each has. The common ancestor is most likely not more distant than a few generations ago. If you click on the FTDNA Tip button, as described above by Jim Barrett, you'll see that this is the case.[/QUOTE

Leave a comment:

• deniseneufeld
    replied
    Actually this is what is states, still trying to figure out all these numbers. And it is a rare Haplogroup G2a

4 83.49%
    8 97.28%
    12 99.55%
    16 99.93%
    20 99.99%
    24 100.00%
    28 100.00%
    Last edited by deniseneufeld; 5 June 2011, 07:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• deniseneufeld
    replied
    It shows that 98% at 6 generations and 100% at 8 generations and 100% for every generation after that.

Leave a comment:

• MMaddi
    replied
    Originally posted by J Honeychuck View Post
    He is related to exact 37-marker matches, but not necessarily recently. If his type is the common R1b, he might have many 37-marker matches of many surnames, with whom he shares a common paternal ancestor who may have lived thousands of years ago. If he has a less common type and shares the same surname, start comparing family trees.

Regards,
    Jim
    I've bolded the part of the quote above which seems to me to be wrong.

If two men match 37/37, it's almost certain that they share a recent common paternal line ancestor, regardless of whatever surname each has. The common ancestor is most likely not more distant than a few generations ago. If you click on the FTDNA Tip button, as described above by Jim Barrett, you'll see that this is the case.
    Last edited by MMaddi; 5 June 2011, 01:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• J Honeychuck
    replied
    He is related to exact 37-marker matches, but not necessarily recently. If his type is the common R1b, he might have many 37-marker matches of many surnames, with whom he shares a common paternal ancestor who may have lived thousands of years ago. If he has a less common type and shares the same surname, start comparing family trees.

Regards,
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    When you are looking at your Y-DNA matches on your myFTDNA website there is an icon at the far right after each match (FTDNA Tip). Click on it for each match and it will provide the answers you are asking for.

Remember these are only estimates based on averages.

Leave a comment:

• Match at 37 Marker Exact Match, what does this mean?

My cousin has a 37 Marker-Exact Match (Y67)
    How likely is it that he is related to this person?

He also has other 37 Marker Matches at
    Genetic Distance 2, how likely is it that they are related?

He also has 37 Marker Matches at Genetic Distance 3, how like
    is it that they are related?

He has 1 match at the 67 Marker with a Genetic Distance of 4, how likely
    is it that they are related?

Sorry for so many questions but I am so new to this DNA stuff, I don't really
    understand much about it.

thanks for your help

Denise
Working...
X