Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep clade test and new SNP's

Hi,

I've taken the Deep Clade test and I'm currently R-L21*. On the FTDNA Y-tree draft I see many new SNP's under L21 that I'm not tested against. If any of these make it into the official tree, will I automatically be tested against them, or is the Deep Clade test a one time thing so I will have to test all new SNP's separately?

Originally posted by k.o.gran View Post
    is the Deep Clade test a one time thing so I will have to test all new SNP's separately?
    Yes, and yes.

Your advanced orders page ought to list those "downstream" SNPs that you are eligible to be tested against but sometimes the layout of that it is not as straightforward as it should be.

In my case (L48) I take advice from the U106 user group before I place SNP orders, lest some new ones be considered private. I have tested as far as I can pending announcement of the availability of new applicable SNPs to test against. I live in hope.

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
      Yes, and yes.
      Thank you!

Comment

I have ordered the Comprehensive Genome test, and upgraded to the 111 Marker Y test. Should I also purchase the deep clade test or will my upcoming results (Y 37-111 yet to post on my page) help to further clarify my Y Haplogroup. Right now it says "Predicted J2 Shorthand J-M172"

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by JamesBianco View Post
          I have ordered the Comprehensive Genome test, and upgraded to the 111 Marker Y test. Should I also purchase the deep clade test or will my upcoming results (Y 37-111 yet to post on my page) help to further clarify my Y Haplogroup. Right now it says "Predicted J2 Shorthand J-M172"

Thanks!
          The more markers you test, the better they can predict your haplogroup. But it won't be confirmed without a SNP test. Do you have many matches at the level of your current results? If so, and they're in more than one sub-clade, it might be useful to order the deep clade test to determine which one you're in. On the other hand, if all your matches are in the same sub-clade, it's probably a safe bet you're in the same one.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanm View Post
            Do you have many matches at the level of your current results? If so, and they're in more than one sub-clade, it might be useful to order the deep clade test to determine which one you're in. On the other hand, if all your matches are in the same sub-clade, it's probably a safe bet you're in the same one.
            Actually, FTDNA has posted the results to marker 37, and I have only one exact match at the 12 Marker level (a guy with a German line oddly enough), but after 12 he falls off and there are no more matches at the 25 and 37 marker level. I just ordered the Deep Clade for $89. I have spent close to $1100 now between the Comp. Genome/111 Y upgrade and now the DC. (I'm not counting the $99 i spent on 123andme last week)

At this rate, I'll be broke soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesBianco View Post
              At this rate, I'll be broke soon enough.
              ... but think of the knowledge!

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
                ... but think of the knowledge!
                Exactly! I need to take a class to understand how everything works but I am completely fascinated by everything I have learned so far.

Comment

Working...
                X