New Message: Last Match Received by Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Message: Last Match Received by Project

I've just noticed a new data field within the Match page that I've never seen before: "Last Match Received by Project". What does this mean? I am not the member of any project.

About four years ago I THOUGHT I joined a surname project. But laughably, I was told just about two months ago that there was some type of technical error and my application was never processed. Though somehow mysteriously my kit # and haplotype has been posted on their page for the last four years. I'd corresponded with the project "administrators" on about three occassions during those four years, and until that last incident, they'd never once mentioned that I was never enrolled.

Therefore I concluded that the project administrators are hopelessly incompetent and that the project was a complete redundancy anyway, since I was well capable of visiting the project site on my own and comparing haplotypes.

I have no intention of suffering through those doltish project administrators again, but I am curious as to what it might mean that I may have an "Ungrouped" match in some project (not named) as of 17 May 2011.

Code:
    I have no intention of suffering through those doltish project administrators again
    Thats rather harsh, they have always been good with my projects

but I am curious as to what it might mean that I may have an "Ungrouped" match in some project (not named)
    It may refer to a member of a project who has been moved or placed to a unique section or ungrouped section of a particular project and with whom you match. I know I was moved to a unique section of one such project.
    Just guessing of course and if I am correct , and no further information is given, it would be useless .

Comment

Yes, it is harsh. They really went out of their way to earn it with me, so I won't deny them what they've earned.

I wouldn't have the temerity to comment negatively on someone else's experience, but I congratulate you for your personal great good fortune.

With regard to this new message, though, I'm beginning to think it may be a new feature from FTDNA that may not mean anything at all for me. I see now that the term "Ungrouped" appears directly under the caption "Project" and I think that "17th May 2011" may refer to the last date I was notified of a 12/12 match.

If that's so, this notification may be kind of redundant and tell me nothing I don't already know--that I received an extremely low-resolution match with a fellow who is not enrolled in any project. I hope someone from FTDNA will comment to confirm/correct. I just don't see a message of that type doing much more than confusing people.

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
      Code:
      I have no intention of suffering through those doltish project administrators again

It may refer to a member of a project who has been moved or placed to a unique section or ungrouped section of a particular project and with whom you match. I know I was moved to a unique section of one such project.
      Just guessing of course and if I am correct , and no further information is given, it would be useless .
      Last edited by Frederator; 19 May 2011, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Some customers have their preferences set to only display matches within the project(s) they are in. If they are in multiple projects, they need to select the project in their project list at the left to see their matches in each project. This has never been totally clear on the Matches page, so I think the recent update to the Matches page was designed to help clarify that.

The new chart with the dates listed is intended to advise customers which of their projects they've had recent matches in. All too often, people get email notification of a new match, and then say they can't find the new match on their page. So this new information will help them find the new match. It may be that they don't realize they have to toggle between projects to see the match.

"Ungrouped" is everyone not in the projects that you're in (or if you're not in any projects, then it's everyone). I've asked FTDNA to re-phrase the "Ungrouped" category as "Other Projects" or "Entire Database" or similar.

Elise

Comment

Yeah, I was beginning to suspect as much.

On balance, I would suggest that it makes more sense to suppress any "Ungrouped" matches notice for two reasons:

1. They would be completely redundant with the individual matches supposedly subject to the individual 12/25/37/67/111 marker preference parameters

2. Including this notice seems to add an unnecessary level of confusion to the mix. For example, when I accessed the match page today, it told me that my last "Ungrouped" match was received on 19th May 2011. That may be true, but there has been no new match listed within any of the 12/25/37/67/111 marker lists that I currently have wide open. It could be that the system just needs a chance to refresh, or that they just continually update the date, without regard to when a match is actually logged.

Either way, it doesn't really seem to tell the user anything useful, and seems to beg more questions than it's worth. I bet the company waste a lot of time responding to what is essentially non-data.

Originally posted by efgen View Post
          Some customers have their preferences set to only display matches within the project(s) they are in. If they are in multiple projects, they need to select the project in their project list at the left to see their matches in each project. This has never been totally clear on the Matches page, so I think the recent update to the Matches page was designed to help clarify that.

The new chart with the dates listed is intended to advise customers which of their projects they've had recent matches in. All too often, people get email notification of a new match, and then say they can't find the new match on their page. So this new information will help them find the new match. It may be that they don't realize they have to toggle between projects to see the match.

"Ungrouped" is everyone not in the projects that you're in (or if you're not in any projects, then it's everyone). I've asked FTDNA to re-phrase the "Ungrouped" category as "Other Projects" or "Entire Database" or similar.

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post

Elise
            They've changed it to "Not In Your Project" which really isn't much better... And it tells us nothing of the match. I've turned off 12 and 25 marker matches because I've got a gazillion of them and they really aren't useful. It seems the new function doesn't care and happily tells me I've got new 12 marker matches. At least that's what I think it does as it says I've got new matches today and I have no new matches on 37+ markers.

Comment

Originally posted by k.o.gran View Post
              They've changed it to "Not In Your Project" which really isn't much better... And it tells us nothing of the match.
              Yep, clear as mud. Clear communication and FTDNA are strangers.

Does it mean to say "Not in any of your projects"?

Comment

I've questioned the value of some of these projects. E-mail messages go unanswered, results remain ungrouped.

Comment

Originally posted by econnore View Post
                  I've questioned the value of some of these projects. E-mail messages go unanswered, results remain ungrouped.
                  I think some people set up projects with an initial burst of enthusiasm and then crash and burn. Some don't even keep their own contact details up to date when they change email providers.

Running a project well requires effort and energy plus the willingness and ability to communicate and to keep abreast of DNA testing developments.

I am a member of a few projects and the good ones are run by people who are also members of ISOGG and numerous other such associations.

Comment

Working...
                  X