Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding DNA information from ftdna to ancestry.com?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding DNA information from ftdna to ancestry.com?

What do you guys do when you confirm a match with ftdna and want to add that info to your ancestry.com tree? I was thinking about adding a fact, then creating a custom event called "DNA" and just stating "confirmed 6th cousin to John Doe through ftdna - Shared CM - 42.58 Longest Block -14.73

My matches all have a different surname than I but share the same surname as each other. None of us know who our common ancestor is. I have 4 matches at Ancestry and 2 at FTDNA but use MRCA prediction as a clue to where I add my matches to my tree. My road block was hit four generation back from me so my test results closest match has a MRCA 6 with me. I think I know to more generation to this line and I added them to my tree which gives me 6 generation back. My MRCA 6 would be 7 generation back from me and at the seventh generation from me I type (Unknown SB Lee) in the next fathers page. Then I added my matches information to my tree. My other matches have MRCA of 10, 14, and a Genetic Distance of 6 which I convert to 16. As i go back to 10, 14 and 16 generation I just type in the generation between those numbers as just (Unknown Lee) until I reach the 10, 14, and 16 generation where I type (Unknown ME Lee or one of my other matches initials) to show where the matches line connects to the tree. Since my matches can't go back 10, 14, or 16 generation I type (UnKnown ME Lee or one of the other initials) up to the point where I can start adding names to my tree and the information that goes with it. The initials just let me know who's line I'm looking at and incase there is a Unknown Lee it want get me side tracked.
    Last edited by EdwardRHill; 19 May 2011, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Time Frame

I question the the number of generations to MRCA on Ancestry, when I added my data the results were much different than what I got here. Since FTDNA yDNA seems to match what my paper says, I have to question how a match here is within eight generations and on other site its 25. It just doesn't make sense. And another thing I'm in process of upgrading to yDNA 111 and have 4of5 in, when I added my new results one match that was within 7 gen. is now 25 gen. I need to explain that some of the markers on the new panels are markers that Ancestry already tested but FTDNA did not so if they match a person who had tested with Ancestry you would think that have a even better match. I don't get it?

Comment

Originally posted by jim22jim View Post
        I question the the number of generations to MRCA on Ancestry, when I added my data the results were much different than what I got here. Since FTDNA yDNA seems to match what my paper says, I have to question how a match here is within eight generations and on other site its 25. It just doesn't make sense. And another thing I'm in process of upgrading to yDNA 111 and have 4of5 in, when I added my new results one match that was within 7 gen. is now 25 gen. I need to explain that some of the markers on the new panels are markers that Ancestry already tested but FTDNA did not so if they match a person who had tested with Ancestry you would think that have a even better match. I don't get it?
        I have come across the same problem when it comes to Ancestry and FTDNA and asked pretty much the same question and got no answer. I had a match at Ancestry that had a MRCA of 10 with me. The sponsor of that test had her brother test again at FTDNA and he was shown to have a Genetic Distance of only 1 and he is the same brother that tested at Ancestry. But when it comes to adding my matches to a tree I know it could change or never change what I'm doing just give me away to keep a record of what I have and make it available to the public so maybe a Lee will come along and be interested in what I have. Once and if i find a common Ancestor with my matches I will add them to my primary tree.

Comment

Working...
        X