37 marker match!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37 marker match!

I have a perfect 37 marker match with my 2nd. cousin, once removed. He has verified who is great grandfather was. Can I assume that this is also my great grandfather, or might it be one of the brothers of his great grandfather. And is there anyway I can determine who my great grandfather was by further DNA testing with my 2nd. cousin ? Thank You.

Bill

If you have documentation that this person is your 2nd cousin 1x, then either your gg-grandfather is his g-grandfather, or the other way around. If he's identifying HIS g-grandfather, in the former case it's your gg-grandfather. In the latter case, it's almost certainly the brother of your g-grandfather. Does that make sense?

Further genetic testing with this person won't tell you anything more, particularly since you apparently already have a paper trail establishing the relationship. It might confirm (or reject) additional cousins from your line, however, and you might "find" your g-grandfather that way.
    Last edited by sjadelson; 17 May 2011, 09:04 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

37 Marker Match

Hello,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my posting. Please be patient with me, and help explain so I might understand better. Yes, my 2nd. cousin, 1x removed does have a verified paper trail to his GREAT GRANDFATHER. I have a verified paper trail to my 2nd. cousin, 1x. His great grandfather, would be my great great grandfather. What I am trying to determine is: With our perfect 37 marker match is his great grandfather my gggrandfather, or might it be one of his great grandfathers brothers.? If we get to a point that we can rule out other brothers, which we are close to doing. Could it then be possible that my gggrandfather would be a nephew of one of the brothers ? A sincere thank you is extended.

Bill

Comment

Without genetic testing, just using the paper trail, you know that *a* g-grandfather of your cousin was the same man as *a* gg-grandfather of yours.

The Y37 match proves that his g-grandfather *along his direct male line* is your gg-grandfather along your direct male line. His grandfather was the brother of your g-grandfather. Further genetic testing will not tell you more about this relationship.

Comment

37 Marker Match

Please stay with me. My ggGrandfather, General Grant Ramsey was adopted by John Simpson Ramsey. He was the son of Nancy Mikel, the second wife of John Simpson Ramsey. She was about 41/2 months pregnant with General Grant when she married John Simpson Ramsey. This has all been verified. The blood father of General Grant is a mystery. All we have to go on is the following:

l. General Grant, b. 1866 Wayne Co., Ky., was adopted shortly after birth by his step-father, John Simpson Ramsey.
          2. Nancy Mikel, second wife of John S., became pregnant during the month of Sept.
          3. In July of 1865, an ISAAC DENTON HUGHES, was discharged from the Union Army, and returned home to Wayne Co., Ky.
          4. This Isaac Denton Hughes, was born the same year as Nancy Mikel, so they probably went to school together, both did live in Wayne Co., Ky., on Otter Creek. "(WELCOME HOME ISAAC)"
          5. ISAAC DENTON HUGHES is the Great Grandfather of Robert Wayne Hughes, the person that I have a perfect 37 marker match with.
          6. General Grant Ramsey does NOT have any of the Ramsey DNA markers of any of the Ramsey families, but John Simpson Ramsey does.
          7. So it looks like Isaac Denton Hughes is my ggGrandfather. OR is it one of Isaac's brothers, or is it one of his nephews ????

Hope you can help me. Thanks a million for your patience.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by sbramz View Post
            Please stay with me. My ggGrandfather, General Grant Ramsey was adopted by John Simpson Ramsey. He was the son of Nancy Mikel, the second wife of John Simpson Ramsey. She was about 41/2 months pregnant with General Grant when she married John Simpson Ramsey. This has all been verified. The blood father of General Grant is a mystery. All we have to go on is the following:

l. General Grant, b. 1866 Wayne Co., Ky., was adopted shortly after birth by his step-father, John Simpson Ramsey.
            2. Nancy Mikel, second wife of John S., became pregnant during the month of Sept.
            3. In July of 1865, an ISAAC DENTON HUGHES, was discharged from the Union Army, and returned home to Wayne Co., Ky.
            4. This Isaac Denton Hughes, was born the same year as Nancy Mikel, so they probably went to school together, both did live in Wayne Co., Ky., on Otter Creek. "(WELCOME HOME ISAAC)"
            5. ISAAC DENTON HUGHES is the Great Grandfather of Robert Wayne Hughes, the person that I have a perfect 37 marker match with.
            6. General Grant Ramsey does NOT have any of the Ramsey DNA markers of any of the Ramsey families, but John Simpson Ramsey does.
            7. So it looks like Isaac Denton Hughes is my ggGrandfather. OR is it one of Isaac's brothers, or is it one of his nephews ????

Hope you can help me. Thanks a million for your patience.

Bill
            DNA's given you pretty good evidence it's one of the males from that family, but which one would be hard to prove conclusively one way or the other. You'll have to build a case using traditional genealogical methods. Which of those male relatives were in the same area as Nancy Mikel around the time she became pregnant? Can you rule out any of the nephews as being too young at the time? And so on...

On the other hand, having male descendants from each of the suspected brothers/nephews test could add weight to the argument. If one or more had a mutation that isn't shared by the others, you might be able to narrow down the possibilities. Genetics can't replace conventional genealogy--they're complementary.

Comment

Working...
            X