Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can lower-order Y marker results be ignored?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ann Turner
    replied
    Originally posted by sjadelson View Post
    Two of my matches are as follows:

"A" 0/Y25 0/Y37 2/Y67
    "B" 1/Y25 1/Y37 2/Y67

Can anything be said concerning closeness of the relationship based on the one marker showing up in the Y25 case for "B"? Or does the g.d. of 2 in both cases mean they are equally close?
    For all practical purposes, you can treat them as being equally close. Mutations happen randomly and independently. Imagine a rolling a roulette wheel with 67 pockets two times. The first ball can land anywhere, and so can the second ball. You wouldn't be totally surprised to see that both balls landed in pockets 38-67.

Leave a comment:

• T E Peterman
    replied
    If you've already ramped the results up to 67 markers, I wouldn't pay much attention to them. I had a case where my 3rd cousin (Ellis) had a match to a known Ellis cousin that was only 11/12. Now, they are 66/67, which is what they should be with a MRCA born in the 1670s.

The whole reason for offering the higher resolution tests is to do a better job of ascertaining how closely related patrilines really are.

Timothy Peterman

Leave a comment:

• sjadelson
    started a topic Can lower-order Y marker results be ignored?

Can lower-order Y marker results be ignored?

Two of my matches are as follows:

"A" 0/Y25 0/Y37 2/Y67
    "B" 1/Y25 1/Y37 2/Y67

Can anything be said concerning closeness of the relationship based on the one marker showing up in the Y25 case for "B"? Or does the g.d. of 2 in both cases mean they are equally close?
Working...
X