Are we related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we related?

My cousin provided the sample for our test at 67 markers. I have contact with someone who tested with another company to 37. On paper, we are about 8th cousins, being descended from 2 cousins who married 2 sisters in the mid 1700s. However, looking at the test results, there are 4 values which do not match, especially DSY389ii. His is 16 but ours is 29. Others of the same surname are not matches either but have a value of 16 for that point. So, I expected a match; what's going on, please? pDALEw (Haplo group is R1b1b2)

My brother got a match with a fellow that was supposedly at a distance of 1, but when I looked I also saw the 16 and 29 "discrepancy," in addition to the 1 different marker.

I looked it up somewhere that I can't recall and found out a certain marker is reported different ways. I hope I'm remembering this right. Sometimes a 13 is reported separately and sometimes it's added in to the 16 to make 29.

Don't really get that, so I'd appreciate an explanation, too. Thank you.
    Last edited by Wilma Wildcat; 14 May 2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Different values

Here is FAQ #38

Maybe this is what you are referring too.

http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/ans...px?faqid=9#972

Hope it helps.

Comment

pDALEw,
        You didn't say which company they tested with. There's a handy table here to translate the marker counting schemes used by different companies, including a whole separate page explaining DYS389.

Wilma,
        Does that help you understand the difference? It's saying the same thing as the FAQ cjm95 mentioned, but I find visual explanations easier to figure out sometimes.

Comment

Thank you; the third link says they claim it's more accurate to give the results separately. Just have to remember it's not a mismatch when comparing 16 and 13 on one test result or 29 on another.

Comment

Are we related?

Thank you for explaining and pointing me in the right direction to understanding the results. It looks much better now I know how it works. The other test was with Oxford Ancestors. Many thanks. pDALEw

Comment

Working...
            X