Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could my results be wrong? (showing up under different haplogroup)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could my results be wrong? (showing up under different haplogroup)

I recently completed my testing under the Robinson surname project. For some reason I am listed under haplogroup e even though i am classified as haplogroup r1b1. Someone once told emit looked like my allele values were incorrect for the haplogroup I'm under. I contacted ftdna but they only said they were rerunning my swab. That has been completed Yet I am still showing up under haplogroup e for my project. Below is the project. Thanks for any help

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...n/default.aspx

Maybe.

Originally posted by sbrobin View Post
    I recently completed my testing under the Robinson surname project. For some reason I am listed under haplogroup e even though i am classified as haplogroup r1b1. Someone once told emit looked like my allele values were incorrect for the haplogroup I'm under. I contacted ftdna but they only said they were rerunning my swab. That has been completed Yet I am still showing up under haplogroup e for my project. Below is the project. Thanks for any help

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...n/default.aspx
    Could you include your kit #?

Sometimes errors occur and the fact that FTDNA is/has rerun/ning the test for you says that perhaps there was one. To clarify: are your secondary results in? What does it say on your homepage in terms of haplogroup? If it says E, then you are E.

Give them a call and good luck!!
    Last edited by Zaru; 13 May 2011, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Is your kit number 199073, with the most distant known ancestor "Samuel Jackson Robinson, 1836 - 1910"? That kit is listed under the Haplogroup E category by the project administrator.

Yet FTDNA has the haplogroup as R1b1a2. The haplogroup is in red, indicating a prediction. But looking at the marker values, it certainly does seem to be the result of someone who's R1b1a2. Just compare the values for this kit for DYS385 and DYS392. The others in the E Haplogroup category have very different values for those two markers and 199073 has values that are usually seen in R1ba2.

It looks to me like this kit is actually R1ba2 and the project administrator has mistakenly or inadvertently put it in the Haplogroup E category. If this is your kit number, do the marker values shown on the project website match what's shown in your FTDNA account? If so, then you are R1ba2, not E and should contact the project administrator to point out his mistake, so that he puts you in the right category on the website.

Comment

The project pages have not been updated for quite awhile and that may be the problem

Comment

Yeah sorry should have mentioned that. It is my kit number. My actual matches match those from the project. Ftdna originally told me I was haplogroup e at first, which may have been the problem. So my values do look like a match for r1b1 and I don't need to contact ftdna? I have contacted the project admin a couple times but not heard back from him. What can I do if the admin as abandoned the project?

Comment

Have you contacted the volunteer admin of the surname project? The admin does the grouping for the "public" websites.

Comment

Originally posted by sbrobin View Post
              Yeah sorry should have mentioned that. It is my kit number. My actual matches match those from the project. Ftdna originally told me I was haplogroup e at first, which may have been the problem. So my values do look like a match for r1b1 and I don't need to contact ftdna? I have contacted the project admin a couple times but not heard back from him. What can I do if the admin as abandoned the project?
              Group administrators have to agree to guidelines, which among other provisions, say (emphasis added):
              Communication is a critical element of a DNA Project, and good communication practices are expected from Group Administrators.

As a Group Administrator, you are assuming the responsibility to conduct a DNA Project, and to interact with and assist participants.
              It doesn't sound like they're meeting those guidelines. As long as you've allowed a reasonable amount of time for a reply, I think it's time to contact FTDNA.

Comment

Think they could have told you but I think the problem is with FTDNA and the IT department there are a few clues in the admin board but my post asking about this in the Conner project has been ignored since the seventh. Last post in the admin board said it should be fixed by 12th but?? Then again I am just a customer so I may not have understood the issues. At least on the Conner table you can easily see when it was last updated, unlike some of the other projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumbldorf View Post
                  Think they could have told you but I think the problem is with FTDNA and the IT department there are a few clues in the admin board but my post asking about this in the Conner project has been ignored since the seventh. Last post in the admin board said it should be fixed by 12th but?? Then again I am just a customer so I may not have understood the issues. At least on the Conner table you can easily see when it was last updated, unlike some of the other projects.
                  There are some IT issues FTDNA is working on, but how project participants are grouped, and how often it's updated, is entirely in the hands of project administrators. One of the first projects I joined didn't move my results from the ungrouped section for many weeks. But after a polite nudge via e-mail, they promptly placed the members into the appropriate groups.

Comment

Mine are not even showing up, grouped or ungrouped. I guess I must be reading the thread in admin section wrong . The one that says FTDNA is doing what?????

Comment

http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=29116

Just checked again in the group admin forum and it sure reads as if the admins are doing what they can but it is AN I.T. PROBLEM.

But hey what do I know I am just a customer that thinks the service here STINKS.

Comment

I just checked the Robinson surname project (my uncle, Roy E Robinson is a participant) & looked up Samuel Jackson Robinson. Samuel's predicted haplogroup is R1b1a2 (aka, R M269+). I suggest that Samuel (& anyone else curious about haplogroup) should upgrade by ordering the SNP test. Get beyond predicted & look at confirmed. The haplogroup will change to green. There will be no question at that point.

The Robinson surname project gets a direct feed from Family Tree DNA (which is good). I have found a number of surname projects that don't get a direct feed; the Admin must copy data over to his own database. The problem in these cases is that nomenclature changes, but the data doesn't, so a result posted in 2006 might say R1b1c, when it should be called R1b1a2 (ie, M269+).

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Originally posted by T E Peterman View Post
                          The Robinson surname project gets a direct feed from Family Tree DNA (which is good). I have found a number of surname projects that don't get a direct feed; the Admin must copy data over to his own database.
                          Can you explain what you mean? The only case I know of would be for projects that aren't hosted on FTDNA's website.

Comment

Nathanm, That is what I'm talking about. It seems that half the sites aren't hosted on Family Tree DNA's website & some times their nomenclature gets old; or a participant does a deep clade upgrade, but this doesn't get added.

I can appreciate why some administrators prefer to organize & manage their own website; but when they do, I think it is nice when they provide a link to the Family Tree DNA data; that way a viewer can see what the SNP is, per current nomenclature.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Originally posted by T E Peterman View Post
                              I just checked the Robinson surname project (my uncle, Roy E Robinson is a participant) & looked up Samuel Jackson Robinson. Samuel's predicted haplogroup is R1b1a2 (aka, R M269+). I suggest that Samuel (& anyone else curious about haplogroup) should upgrade by ordering the SNP test. Get beyond predicted & look at confirmed. The haplogroup will change to green. There will be no question at that point.
                              Thanks for the reply. SJR is my kit. I'm still pretty new to DNA testing, but I spent almost $800 on the comprehensive genome kit. It has now been 3 months (I sent ftdna my swab in February) and I still don't have all of my results from the lab back, so I'm a little hesitant to send them any more money. Can you explain what would be the advantage of doing the SNP test? Does that just confirm your haplogroup? And if so, how does that help me?

I just contacted the admin of the project and asked him to move me. I could have sworn I contacted him before, but couldn't find it in my email so I must have been wrong. Hopefully it will get corrected soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X