R1b1a2a1a1b4 - what upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1b1a2a1a1b4 - what upgrade?

I am confirmed R1b1a2a1a1b4 and am wondering what other upgrades I can do.

Any suggestions? I am pinpointing my ancestor to the Border Reivers of Scotland. Lot's of Elliots and Glendennings matches so far up to 67 markers.

Thanks

B

Originally posted by mavityre View Post
    I am confirmed R1b1a2a1a1b4 and am wondering what other upgrades I can do.

Any suggestions? I am pinpointing my ancestor to the Border Reivers of Scotland. Lot's of Elliots and Glendennings matches so far up to 67 markers.

Thanks

B
    If you have perfect matches at 67 markers, it should be worth it to upgrade to 111 markers. Then hopefully some of those matches upgrade too.

Comment

You might also consider Family Finder. It will provide for searches on both the paternal and maternal sides of the family.

I also agree that if you have matches at the 67 marker level, then you should upgrade to 111 markers. The upgraded markers will provide for a better definition of matches. I would like to, but I have no matches at the 67 marker level, so it would be a waste at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanm View Post
        If you have perfect matches at 67 markers, it should be worth it to upgrade to 111 markers. Then hopefully some of those matches upgrade too.
        111 markers?!? I thought the highest was 67. When did this 111 come about?

Comment

It has been available for about a month now. It is only available to those who have tested to 67 markers.

I have tested to 67 markers and the 111 test is available as an upgrade. A friend is testing to 37 markers, but the test is not available listed as being available to him.
          Last edited by JPHutchins; 2 May 2011, 12:34 AM.

Comment

I received an e-mail from FTDNA 5 April announcing the 111 marker test.

Comment

Originally posted by JPHutchins View Post
              It has been available for about a month now. It is only available to those who have tested to 67 markers.

I have tested to 67 markers and the 111 test is available as an upgrade. A friend is testing to 37 markers, but the test is not available listed as being available to him.
              Here's what FTDNA shows on the upgrade drop list:

" This is an upgrade for customers who have taken our Y-DNA67 test. The Y-DNA111 upgrade is recommended for customers who already have close matches at the 67 marker level and are looking to tighten the calculation for the time to Most Recent Common Ancestor (tMRCA). "

Cost is $129.00

Since my only 67/67 marker is my 3c2r and we have the paper trail verified, I see no need to upgrade to the 111 marker at this time.

My hope is that we have other ANDREW/S that are not listed in our tree provide some testing results.

That will be the time for the 111 upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by JPHutchins View Post
                You might also consider Family Finder. It will provide for searches on both the paternal and maternal sides of the family.

I also agree that if you have matches at the 67 marker level, then you should upgrade to 111 markers. The upgraded markers will provide for a better definition of matches. I would like to, but I have no matches at the 67 marker level, so it would be a waste at this time.

Not necessarily a waste. Extending to 111 has the potential to show a distant with another line by adding a 44/44 match to your existing matches. A 104/111 has relevance. A number of 111 marker extensions are underway to investigate pre-1500 (dark ages) relationships between different surnames.

Extending to 111 markers are showing promise in formalizing some geographic divisions. Interesting results are coming from 111 marker extensions under R-L21

Comment

The closest 67 marker match I have is 67/4. Would going the 111 marker route be a waste of time then?

Thanks

Comment

At that level they recently had a fairly hard sell for further subclades of R-L48..
                    I'm surprised you missed it
                    I use the shortcut now.
                    I was R-L48+, which seemed to set me up for Germanic tribes that invaded Britain.
                    I am now R-L47+ and I haven't been able to make much of this.
                    There are those who talk of the Ivanhoe Cluster, but that seems a bit fanciful in my case.
                    Good for you with so many hits at the higher levels, I feel like the last of the Mohicans!

Comment

Originally posted by Cromdubh View Post
                      At that level they recently had a fairly hard sell for further subclades of R-L48..
                      I'm surprised you missed it
                      I use the shortcut now.
                      I was R-L48+, which seemed to set me up for Germanic tribes that invaded Britain.
                      I am now R-L47+ and I haven't been able to make much of this.
                      There are those who talk of the Ivanhoe Cluster, but that seems a bit fanciful in my case.
                      Good for you with so many hits at the higher levels, I feel like the last of the Mohicans!
                      I must be another Mohican! I'm R-L44+, with deep clade testing still in progress. I did the full 111 markers, and ended up with zero matches from 37 markers on.

Comment

Working...
                      X