GEDCOMs for FTDNA, MITO by PAF software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GEDCOMs for FTDNA, MITO by PAF software

I have downloaded PAF, but cannot export files to my FTDNA account or my Mitosearch account. There are many variables in PAF 5-5.2 that I have been unable to properly choose in order to save as GEDCOM and export to the sites. In addition to the different versions of PAF and saving/exporting techniques by each one, I have no idea which version FTDNA or Mitosearch accepts or how to split paternal and maternal files-neither site is forthcoming about these issues. This has become too much work at this point-I now understand why there aren't more personal GEDCOM files created and exported to larger sites.

If you have a hard explanation about performing these actions with PAF 5-5.2 using Windows XP, please elaborate.

You and me both

Comment

Me Too. I don't have paf, I have family tree maker. But, not a clue how to separate or how many names to display.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkwriter View Post
        If you have a hard explanation about performing these actions with PAF 5-5.2 using Windows XP, please elaborate.
        I use PAF 5.2.18.0

1. Click on the 'Individual" tab. Highlight the person who is at the top of your tree (YOU).
        2. Click on 'File' then 'Export'. In the Export menu, select "Other GEDCOM 5.5". Char Set = UTF-8 is OK. Remove all check marks under 'Include'. Under 'Filter' select 'Partial'. Click on the 'Select' button.
        3. In the window that opens up, your name should be highlighted. Under 'Relationship Filter', select 'Ancestors' in the pulldown. Then click on 'Select' under that.
        4. In the ancestors window, show the number of generations you want. Put Descendant generations = 0. Don't include spouses or parents. click OK.
        5. You will return to the previous menu (says Select Individuals at top). Click OK .
        6. That returns you to the 'Export' menu. Click on the 'Export' button at the bottom.
        7. Enter the filename and select where you want to put it. Where it says 'Filename', enter a name, but don't add the '.ged' suffix. it will do that anyway. Click the 'Export' button. It will save the GEDCOM for you.

PAF seems to be much more more flexible in exporting what you want than FTM. Along with flexibility, comes more complexity I guess. I never could figure out how to export what I want with FTM.
        Last edited by JOlson; 18 April 2011, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X