Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA Testing

My Y-DNA has been tested here with FTDNA but I would like to reconfirm the
    results by using another company. Would Ancestry.com be a suitable one or are there better ones out there just as reasonable in pricing.

I had the same thought as you so I had two other tests. One to check ftdna and the second more accidentally . Both confirmed FTDNA.
    Save your money or invest it to upgrade or to do a different type of test- depending on what you have done already

Comment

I should be able to throw in my experience with that in a few weeks, from the opposite direction. I purchased both Y-DNA and mtDNA tests from ancestry.com a couple of weeks ago, before doing any real comparison. A bit of internet searching while waiting for the results made it pretty clear to me that FTDNA was a better choice, so I bit the bullet and shelled out more cash to test here. I'm in batch 407, so it'll be a while before I see the FTDNA results. I'm not expecting any variance, but should something show up differently, I'd tend to discount the ancestry.com findings. It's sort of an apples/oranges comparison, though, as it'll be matching a 46 marker STR test against a 111 marker/deep clade test.

Comment

Just remember when comparing some DYS values from different companies that some can be reported differently such as DYS 389-2. This is in the FAQ
        section.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
          Just remember when comparing some DYS values from different companies that some can be reported differently such as DYS 389-2. This is in the FAQ
          section.
          Great point! I actually set up a little conversion spreadsheet when I got my Y-DNA report back from ancestry (it only took a week for the results... seems too fast to me). I'd intended to post them on Y-search, but came to the conclusion that I'd be better off just waiting for the full FTDNA findings.

Comment

Confirming DNA Test

Thanks for all the advice about obtaining another DNA Test for confirmation but even most people get a second opinion when a Medical Doctor mentions an operation is required, so this should be the same scenario. In my case my
            Y-DNA was really surprisingly (O1a2 Taiwanese Aborigine) which I still find hard to believe.

Comment

which I still find hard to believe.
              If I wanted to save money I would contact ftdna and have them recheck it explaining your concerns.
              If you have doubts that a site can check itself you might try national geographic which I believe is $99. They are slow however so believe them when they give you a due date.

Comment

As an after thought I wanted to mention a problem with the web site I have encountered twice in the last month.
                That is when I log in I get a false haplotype.
                It goes away after I refresh the page. It may be that or someone just entered the wrong information. It may be just a display error or computer entry error and possibly an easy fix. Again as a first step I would contact the site and at least see what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
                  If I wanted to save money I would contact ftdna and have them recheck it explaining your concerns.
                  If you have doubts that a site can check itself you might try national geographic which I believe is $99. They are slow however so believe them when they give you a due date.
                  The Genographic Project from National Geographic uses FTDNA for all their testing, so that would just be unneeded duplication. If you test at either one, you can transfer your results to the other (there's a $15 fee for FTDNA-->Genographic). The Genographic Project's information on haplogroups is slightly out of date, but the results are presented differently, which might be a better way to show your genetic ancestry to relatives who wouldn't otherwise be interested. Also, submitting your data to the Genographic Project helps by contributing to their research.

Comment

Working...
                  X