New Y-DNA 111

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Y-DNA 111

FTDNA is now offering an upgrade of 44 markers for those who have already tested 67.

If you have already done some Y-STRs from the Advanced Menu some of these are duplicates but there are 15 new STRs. If you are in a group project and already have 67 markers tested the upgrade is $101. This is actually a few dollars cheaper than if you ordered the 15 new markers individually at the standard $7.20 a marker. The new 15 aren't available individually yet anyway.

New markers:

Just placed my order.

Comment

I'm in, too.

Comment

new test

I'm in too.

Comment

I ordered the test yesterday.

Comment

I got my results today.

That was fast!

Comment

Originally posted by R2-D2 View Post
              I got my results today.

That was fast!
              Were you given a batch number? Or did it just appear?

Comment

Originally posted by R2-D2 View Post
                I got my results today.

That was fast!
                It sure was! I still haven't got a batch number -- I have been waiting for the usual Wednesday batching process for that.

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
                  It sure was! I still haven't got a batch number -- I have been waiting for the usual Wednesday batching process for that.
                  I think I saw a post from thomas Krahn on rootsweb saying that the Houston lab who are doing the 111 tests do not need to wait for the batches, they can start on the job straight away.

Now to check if any of my kits have results.

Comment

Originally posted by rivergirl View Post
                    I think I saw a post from thomas Krahn on rootsweb saying that the Houston lab who are doing the 111 tests do not need to wait for the batches, they can start on the job straight away.
                    That must be the case.

Nonetheless, in my case I see that I am now in batch 408 with ETA of May 25.

Comment

111 Markers

I am more than a little taken aback by what seems to me to be a Lemming-like rush to get to the 111 marker level.
                      From my admittedly limited reading it does not seem to offer much more than what the 67 marker did for those on 37.
                      My experience of getting a 67 marker for a person of the same surname with whom I shared a 37 marker with a GD of -2 resulted in much the same information with a GD of -4, which appears to amount to the same thing.
                      Perhaps a little more focussed information on the indication for doing the test other than a vague promise of tightening up the timeline to the Common Ancestor would tempt me to join the stampede.
                      I don't want to rain on anybody else's parade, by the way!
                      Tom Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Cromdubh View Post
                        I am more than a little taken aback by what seems to me to be a Lemming-like rush to get to the 111 marker level.
                        For me this is a hobby. As I've said elsewhere, I'm bored with waiting for the next big thing -- be that complete Y or complete genome -- so in the meantime I'm happy to fork out $100 on something that will return me definite results than say $500 on "Walk the Y" which has the real possibility of zero results.

Comment

Originally posted by Cromdubh View Post
                          From my admittedly limited reading it does not seem to offer much more than what the 67 marker did for those on 37.
                          My experience of getting a 67 marker for a person of the same surname with whom I shared a 37 marker with a GD of -2 resulted in much the same information with a GD of -4, which appears to amount to the same thing.
                          Perhaps a little more focussed information on the indication for doing the test other than a vague promise of tightening up the timeline to the Common Ancestor would tempt me to join the stampede.
                          I don't want to rain on anybody else's parade, by the way!
                          Tom Johnson
                          Some people just want to be the first kids on the block with the big, new, shiny toy. It won't help them right away unless both them and their matches at 67 markers upgrade, but it's their money.

I'm glad to have early adopters like them. Then, as other people find the need to upgrade to 111 markers, there will be an initial pool of samples for possible matches, and they're the guinea pigs for all the bugs to get worked out. But seeing the stories on here of results coming back before even batch numbers, it sounds like this test is running pretty smoothly. It must be taking advantage of previously underutilized lab equipment/time.

I am curious, since I haven't upgraded to even 67 markers yet... Do the results for 67 markers come back as quickly as the 111 markers did? In other words, is the 67 marker upgrade done in the Houston lab, so they don't have to ship samples back and forth between Tucson? Of course, this is just hypothetical for me right now, since I have no perfect matches beyond 12 markers, and 3 of 4 matches at that level haven't tested further.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanm View Post
                            I am curious, since I haven't upgraded to even 67 markers yet... Do the results for 67 markers come back as quickly as the 111 markers did?
                            In my case, the first section (of 12->67) was completed more than a month early. The last part was completed 3 weeks early.

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
                              For me this is a hobby. As I've said elsewhere, I'm bored with waiting for the next big thing -- be that complete Y or complete genome -- so in the meantime I'm happy to fork out $100 on something that will return me definite results than say $500 on "Walk the Y" which has the real possibility of zero results.
                              I see you are an R-L48 of Irish origin.
                              So am I. Still here! At the minute, I am awaiting subgroups of this supposed marker for Friesians.,
                              Not the most patriotic of Haplogroups from an Irish point of view.
                              In my case probably descended from a post Williamite (1690 etc.,) soldier, paid with a plot of land in West Kerry, and absorbed into the general population.
                              I have a church (Anglican) record for a Richard Johnson, from 1707 & 1710 but a distinct lack of paper following that! Just the Christian name, Richard, which has recurred in each family of every generation that I have come across.
                              Tom Johnson.

Comment

Working...
                              X