Deceased Matches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deceased Matches?

Two of my three new matches this week are...deceased. One died five years ago, and the other much longer ago than that. I realize that some people were tested early but is there something else that people are doing to test the deceased?

Originally posted by econnore View Post
    Two of my three new matches this week are...deceased. One died five years ago, and the other much longer ago than that. I realize that some people were tested early but is there something else that people are doing to test the deceased?
    Although there are other ways to test DNA than cheek cells from living people (e.g., hair), most likely the tests were done on samples from people who submitted them while they were still alive; FTDNA stores samples for 25 years for those who request it.

Comment

FTDNA should clean house

It would be nice if FTDNA could send out a mass mailing to all those who have tested at their site and in this e-mail just ask a simple question and see if any come back saying unable to deliver. If they do come back saying unable to deliver make that information available to people who match this people that don't reply. The question should say something like this FTDNA is looking to keep or records up to date so all can get the most out of their test and would like for those that are interested in taking part of the different project to let us know that they are still interested or not by replying to this message. I think that could be very helpful.

Comment

It wasn't so much that I tried to e-mail a deceased person. The FTDNA account had another relative's e-mail address associated with it. I was just curious about how people so long dead had been tested. Especially since the person appeared as a "new" match.

I'm still trying to get my very much alive husband to finish doing his swabs.

Comment

A lot of the e-mail addresses associated with kits are for those who manage the kit. I manage a number for my relatives. I paid for the tests & I am the contact. One of my tested relatives is deceased.

It would be nice if Family Tree DNA would add a field where we could insert the deathdate. If they really plan to hold samples for 25 years, this issue will become a lot more widespread.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Working...
          X