Which MtDna test to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which MtDna test to get?

I was wondering whether the cheapest MtDNA test is worth getting. I am looking to find more relatives. Would it be better to get MtDNA Plus or MtDNA FullSequence? What are the real benefits of each test?

The least expensive mtDna is only good to establish a haplogroup.
    To look for matches you need to go one step up.
    I personaly can't say if the full sequence is better yet so I will let others answer that

Comment

Originally posted by veramiller View Post
      I was wondering whether the cheapest MtDNA test is worth getting. I am looking to find more relatives. Would it be better to get MtDNA Plus or MtDNA FullSequence? What are the real benefits of each test?
      Of the three mtDNA tests, only the FGS has the potential to connect you with relatives in recent historical times, and then only relatives who are related to you through your direct maternal line females.

If you're looking for relatives from potentially any of your ancestral lines (male and female), you should go with FF (Family Finder).

The mtDNA/FGS and the FF test two different types of DNA, so if you're able to, the best chance of finding relatives of any sort would be to have both tests done, in addition to a y67 test from a male related to your father's direct paternal line such as a cousin or uncle.

If cost is a concern and you're looking for any relatives you can find, I'd go with the FF.
      Last edited by vinnie; 22 March 2011, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X