No announcement yet.

Founder effect and matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Javelin: FOIA? Could you point me in the right direction to know whether this might work for me?

I recently connected w/ a cousin who referred to some very interesting info re: our grandfather within the orphanage file of his father (my uncle), who is now dead.

However, my cousin kinda cut me off and refused to further elaborate, in part, I think because some of the information may have reflected poorly on his grandmother--from whom I do NOT descend. Our fathers were only half-brothers.

Could a FOIA request help me here? I know for a fact that all the principles even possibly mentioned in the files are dead.

Just wondering ...

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
    I'm actually reading that. I recently got information on a relative who was in a local asylum, with what seems to have been schizophrenia, through a Freedom of Information request.

Comment

Originally posted by Frederator View Post
      @Javelin: FOIA? Could you point me in the right direction to know whether this might work for me?
      It will depend on your state's exact laws, and whether the orphanage was county or state run, or private.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
        It will depend on your state's exact laws, and whether the orphanage was county or state run, or private.
        Is there some kind of online tutorial or some such to coach people through the process? I have some legal training, but I never went for my J.D. and I don't plan on picking all that up again.

Comment

Best thing is probably to do some googling. I happened to find a web page on the history of the institution my relative was at and they had info on how to write for a FOIA request, otherwise I wouldn't have known I could even get the info...

Comment

Working...
          X