Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I1 haplogroup

Hello,

I'm in the early stages of researching my paternal line, and I just received the results of my Y-37 test. I've always been curious as to when and from where my paternal ancestor immigrated from Europe, but I've not been able to get back that far. My surname is Simpson, and I'm from West Virginia. The most distant ancestor of which I'm aware, my great-great-grandfather, was also born in (what is now) West Virginia, in 1860. Based on my surname and where my family lives in the US, I've always casually assumed I was of Scots-Irish descent. Does any of my information support or detract from this assumption?

My test results:
    http://www.ysearch.org/search_view.a...wuid=VK6D4&p=1

Thanks

PS: I've been trying to join a surname group, but I keep getting the error message: "An error has occurred: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown"

Any tips?
    Last edited by ; 18 March 2011, 12:59 AM. Reason: additional question

Did you have any matches from this site? Maybe y search is having problems or your computer is the issue. Try turning off your fire wall and viruses checker.
    It's hard to tell from dys values alone. Try a googel search for that haplogroup and add Scottish or Irish
    They do have sites where typical dys values are listed

Comment

Just wanted to add try joining other projects as well as I am sure there are multiple Irish Scottish groups

Comment

I don't suggest that you join an Irish or a Scots group until you know you are from either of those places, or find a close match in one of those places.

Why not just join the I1 project?

With our premier suite of DNA tests and the world’s most comprehensive matching database...your DNA has met its match!

Comment

It's possible to be I1 and Irish. I'm involved with 3 Irish surname Projects and they all have a I1 members, just not in the numbers that R1b dominates.

What other surnames do you match?
          At ysearch you have a 36/37 with a Hazel, 35/37 with another Simpson from Kentucky, at 34/37 and 33/37 you match with Hulls from England. You also have a few Russian matches.

Join the I1 project, upgrade to 67 markers and possibly SNP test to see which subgroup your in.
          Compare your results at ancestry.com dna section and SMGF.
          You may also want to test the 9 other markers that SMGF/Ancestry use for a better comparison.

If you cant get into the project you want, email the project admin and FTDNA and ask them to place you in manually.

Comment

Originally posted by rivergirl View Post
            It's possible to be I1 and Irish. I'm involved with 3 Irish surname Projects and they all have a I1 members, just not in the numbers that R1b dominates.

What other surnames do you match?
            At ysearch you have a 36/37 with a Hazel, 35/37 with another Simpson from Kentucky, at 34/37 and 33/37 you match with Hulls from England. You also have a few Russian matches.

Join the I1 project, upgrade to 67 markers and possibly SNP test to see which subgroup your in.
            Compare your results at ancestry.com dna section and SMGF.
            You may also want to test the 9 other markers that SMGF/Ancestry use for a better comparison.

If you cant get into the project you want, email the project admin and FTDNA and ask them to place you in manually.
            Of course the Irish project is a possibility, but is is ridiculous to join a geographic project without proper documentation. Surnames are meaningless, especially since we don't know what his surname is.

Comment

but is is ridiculous to join a geographic project without proper documentation
              Even if you don't join you can still access the database and do comparisons

Comment

I don't know all of your background but the issues you raise are issues I confronted when I first started down this path of genetic genealogy. The world history and the personal history of your family is important in developing working theories.

I'd research what groups of people came (or were brought) to West Virginia by 1860. If you know exactly what area your people lived in you need to focus on that area also and of course combine any personal family knowledge. I1 suggests a Northeast Europe and Scandinavian line. Ancient Scandinavians certainly invaded and colonized the Northern British Isles and that is reflected in the populations of Scottish and Irish peoples, among others. There was heavy immigration from the British Isles to the American colonies and Virginia certainly was a major landing point.

Just some thoughts.

P.S. I highly suggest the I1 project before you go anywhere else.

Comment

I agree with the above post. Ireland was a stopover before heading out for Iceland and Greenland.

I'm of Spanish/Canary Island origin and don't look particularly Scandinavian. I attribute my I1 hap to the Visigoths (Hernandez is a Visigothic surname) but really there are a number of ways it could've gotten to Spain over the many millenia.

Originally posted by CWF View Post
                  I don't know all of your background but the issues you raise are issues I confronted when I first started down this path of genetic genealogy. The world history and the personal history of your family is important in developing working theories.

I'd research what groups of people came (or were brought) to West Virginia by 1860. If you know exactly what area your people lived in you need to focus on that area also and of course combine any personal family knowledge. I1 suggests a Northeast Europe and Scandinavian line. Ancient Scandinavians certainly invaded and colonized the Northern British Isles and that is reflected in the populations of Scottish and Irish peoples, among others. There was heavy immigration from the British Isles to the American colonies and Virginia certainly was a major landing point.

Just some thoughts.

P.S. I highly suggest the I1 project before you go anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                  X