Full genomic sequence match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full genomic sequence match

I have 2 full genomic sequence matches. Now what? I exchanged surnames with one of these people and no match. Can someone explain the significance of these matches? On the surface I would think we would have a close match that would be easy to identify.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Originally posted by outland View Post
    I have 2 full genomic sequence matches. Now what? I exchanged surnames with one of these people and no match. Can someone explain the significance of these matches? On the surface I would think we would have a close match that would be easy to identify.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    The TMRCA can be very variable, and stretch from one generation to hundreds if not thousands of years. It depends partly on how many "private" mutations you share -- ones that are not part of the haplogroup subclade definition. They would have occurred more recently.

You can check this at http://phylotree.org. (I also include that information in my custom reports about the medical implications of mutations in the coding region.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
      The TMRCA can be very variable, and stretch from one generation to hundreds if not thousands of years. It depends partly on how many "private" mutations you share -- ones that are not part of the haplogroup subclade definition. They would have occurred more recently.

You can check this at http://phylotree.org. (I also include that information in my custom reports about the medical implications of mutations in the coding region.)
      I would add that a mtDNA FMA match is only your direct maternal line, and since female names often change with marriage, if is difficult to match surnames if the MMRCA is hundreds or thousands of years back. If you are lucky, and your mtDNA FMS match and you share a MRCA who is withing a few genertions back, then you may be able to determine the family name, otherwise it is difficult. I have one mtDNA FMS match and they also tested with FTDNA Family Finder, and we didn't show up as a cousin match at all, so our MRCA must be farther back. Y-DNA tests that only males can take are a more reliable predictor of a family surname ( of it is one of the larger marker tests and you have a exact marker match).

The Family Finder test will give you more recent relative matches from both sides of your family tree.

Judy

Comment

Working...
      X