Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for great great grandfather, will YDNA-67 help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for great great grandfather, will YDNA-67 help?

I'm trying to find out info about my great great grandfather on my direct paternal line. Church records say he was an "Englishman", I've always heard he was Scottish. All I've got of information is his name that research indicate is wrong. My great grandfather was born in Norway and his mother was Norwegian.

I've done the Family Finder and YDNA-12 bundle, but I have 1309 matches on YDNA, so it isn't very useful.

My question is; Will upgrading to YDNA-67 help me find out if my great great grandfather was English, Scottish or potentially even Norwegian?

Testing additional markers will help eliminate many of your 12 marker matches. The more markers you test the fewer matches you'll have for two reasons. 1) Many of your current 12 marker matches won't have tested for the additional markers (not helpful). 2) The more markers you match on the more likely you share a common paternal ancestor.

At 37 or 67 markers you may be able to get a good idea of the true paternal surname and recent, last few 100 years, origin of your line. Of course your Haplogroup indicates your ancient ancestral origin.

Comment

Partly it depends on luck - that someone related along that line within genealogical time has also tested. But as the previous poster said, even the 37 test will narrow down the matches to the ones that are significant. And a 0-distance 37 match is clearly significant, whereas a 12 marker 0-distance match may or may not be significant, and probably it's not. If you do the 37 marker test, you should also search with your results against all the available databases (YSearch and smgf.org).

When I did the 37 marker test at FTDNA, I was a bit disappointed with the results. The closest 37 marker match was distance 3, and all the surnames were different than mine. All the 12 marker, 0 distance matches were also different surnames. I began thinking "Non-paternal event"! Then I searched at smgf.org, and found a 0-distance match on 32 markers (not all 37 markers were also in the test the other person took), that not only had the same surname, but had a pedigree at that site that showed we were 6th cousins, related on the paternal line. Success!. So I would say it's worth testing more markers, and definitely search against all the databases.
      Last edited by Darren; 25 February 2011, 10:01 PM. Reason: Please no links to outside DNA companies

Comment

I ran into a road block with my GGF and did the Y-DNA test about 6 or 7 years ago. I first matched up with two guys one here in the states and another in Wales, England. My Florida match had a MRCA of 10 generation or 250 years. My second match Wales had a MRCA of 14 generation or 350 years. They both had a different last name than me but shared the same last name with each other. This to me was a problem but explained why I might not be able to find who my GGF father was. For a year I just didn't believe the results and continued to chase after the most likely family hoping to find something.

Than about two or three years ago I had another match with the same last name as my other two matches but the new match Texas had a MRCA of 6 generation or 150 years. With this match I was now ready to except what was happening. With Texas being a MRCA of 6 or 150 years, Florida being a MRCA of 10 or 250 years, and Wales with a MRCA of 14 or 350 years I now had points A, B, and C. (A) being the closest and C being the furthest I now had good information about my line and where they came from.

Within the last year or two I have had two more matches one from Alabama and the other from Australia. Alabama has a MRCA of 10 generation or 250 years and Australia with a Genetic Distance of 6. Alabama runs into a road block in the same state as Florida and Texas and I found information showing that Alabama and Florida were from the same county which was not known before. Australia had traced their line back to the same area of Wales and England that Wales had traced his line too.

I don't really understand Genetic Distance and how it works and not having the same last name as my matches I am unable to join that Surname Project to see which markers we match with and witch we don't. But my guess for Genetic Distance is a MRCA of 16 generation or 400 years. When I first matched up with someone with a different surname and one that was even more common that the one I had I was not to happy. But as I get more matches the more interesting it gets. You might get lucky and find out who your GGGF was but there is no guarantee that you will be that lucky. But you could still end up with some very interesting information over time and you just might get lucky and find a match thats has traced his line back further than you have traced yours making it possible to find your GGGF.

I would do 67 markers because my Australia match had show only people who test to 67 makers. If I did that instead of testing to 37 I would have found that match years ago.

Comment

Thanks for all your answers. Looks like it's time to upgrade my YDNA test.

Comment

Wow. I'm looking for the <green with envy> button but all i see is these and none of them apply!!

Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
            I ran into a road block with my GGF and did the Y-DNA test about 6 or 7 years ago. I first matched up with two guys one here in the states and another in Wales, England. My Florida match had a MRCA of 10 generation or 250 years. My second match Wales had a MRCA of 14 generation or 350 years. They both had a different last name than me but shared the same last name with each other. This to me was a problem but explained why I might not be able to find who my GGF father was. For a year I just didn't believe the results and continued to chase after the most likely family hoping to find something.

Than about two or three years ago I had another match with the same last name as my other two matches but the new match Texas had a MRCA of 6 generation or 150 years. With this match I was now ready to except what was happening. With Texas being a MRCA of 6 or 150 years, Florida being a MRCA of 10 or 250 years, and Wales with a MRCA of 14 or 350 years I now had points A, B, and C. (A) being the closest and C being the furthest I now had good information about my line and where they came from.

Within the last year or two I have had two more matches one from Alabama and the other from Australia. Alabama has a MRCA of 10 generation or 250 years and Australia with a Genetic Distance of 6. Alabama runs into a road block in the same state as Florida and Texas and I found information showing that Alabama and Florida were from the same county which was not known before. Australia had traced their line back to the same area of Wales and England that Wales had traced his line too.

I don't really understand Genetic Distance and how it works and not having the same last name as my matches I am unable to join that Surname Project to see which markers we match with and witch we don't. But my guess for Genetic Distance is a MRCA of 16 generation or 400 years. When I first matched up with someone with a different surname and one that was even more common that the one I had I was not to happy. But as I get more matches the more interesting it gets. You might get lucky and find out who your GGGF was but there is no guarantee that you will be that lucky. But you could still end up with some very interesting information over time and you just might get lucky and find a match thats has traced his line back further than you have traced yours making it possible to find your GGGF.

I would do 67 markers because my Australia match had show only people who test to 67 makers. If I did that instead of testing to 37 I would have found that match years ago.

Comment

Try Ancestral Origins

If what you are looking for is a general idea of where your ancestors are from, you can get that by looking at the 'Ancestral Origins' link on your my-FTNDA page. What the table shows is the percentage of men in the sample that match your DNA who list the origin of their oldest known paternal ancestor as being in a particular country. This works particularly well if you have lots of 12-marker exact matches. You can get a visual picture of similar data by looking at the Maps link.

In my case the preponderance of links comes from Great Britain & Ireland, with the majority in Ireland (and they show up primarily in County Kerry on the map). Never found a hint of that in my paper trail genealogy!

Comment

Yes if you are not going to match up with someone close and share the same last names at least matching up with people that share the same last name with each other and having the results appear as they were stepping back in time MRCA 150, 250, 350, and 400 years. Is a good second choice or better than nothing

Comment

Originally posted by dwight View Post
                  Wow. I'm looking for the <green with envy> button but all i see is these and none of them apply!!
                  The green face on this forum is colon and uppercase D. It should be in yellow because colon + D = BIG smile. Regular smile is colon : and )

should be yellow, but is green

Comment

Maybe this one should be green or these two all look envious.

Comment

Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
                      Maybe this one should be green or these two all look envious.
                      Yep.
                      The sad icon should be a dark blue, not a purplish-blue. And I agree there should be an green envy icon that looks like the sad icon , but in a dark or muted green, not bright green

I think I may have used for upset/sad/envious/where are my results?
                      Last edited by rainbow; 26 February 2011, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k.o.gran View Post
                        I'm trying to find out info about my great great grandfather on my direct paternal line. Church records say he was an "Englishman", I've always heard he was Scottish. All I've got of information is his name that research indicate is wrong. My great grandfather was born in Norway and his mother was Norwegian.

I've done the Family Finder and YDNA-12 bundle, but I have 1309 matches on YDNA, so it isn't very useful.

My question is; Will upgrading to YDNA-67 help me find out if my great great grandfather was English, Scottish or potentially even Norwegian?

It may help to upgrade. I can't guarantee that it will help. I think many Scots have Norwegian ydna and vice versa.

If he was a soldier from "England" sent to another country, he was most likely Scottish. Most recruits were Scottish.

There is a website that has a lot of details about Scotland and it's history and where it's men went to, including Norway. www.electricscotland.com

Comment

Working...
                        X