another Q that doesn't fit the categories: question about match data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another Q that doesn't fit the categories: question about match data

Somehow it escaped my notice until recently that I have a perfect 12 point match who lists his country of origin as Denmark - he's in both the Denmark Project and the N-hg project. I hadn't noticed because, until recently, I'd been grouped down in the "ungrouped" bin, not sorted by haplotype. Now that I'm sorted properly in the Denmark project, I see that he and I are a perfect 12 point match. I've tested to 67 but he's only got the 12. He is the only match of any kind that I have anywhere who lists Denmark as country of origin. Thus, I'm very curious.

On my y-DNA match page, I'm shown 3 perfect 12 point matches: All named Fletcher. They have tested, respectively, to 12, 37, and 67 markers. I've communicated with Mr. 67. Never heard back from either Mr. 12 or Mr. 37. It was my understanding that they all traced their ancestry to the U.K.

Is it possible that there would be a fellow FTDNA testee who is a 12 point match but who would not, for some reason, show up on my main match list? Or should I assume that this guy on the Denmark and N-hg Projects is one and the same with my match "Mr. 12" who hasn't responded to my emails?

I've written both project admins asking if they could help me try to get in touch with him - I have never gotten a response to any of these queries.

As always, thanks for your thoughts!

Who is on the match list

I think there is an option to opt out of the general match list. Maybe you can still show up in projects.

I have a similar thing on MtDNA. I have no FGS matches in my list, but if I look by origin I have two, one German, one Dutch. My MtDNA fore-mother was in Denmark around 1800 and I descend from her.

Comment

Dwight:

He may have bought a Genographic Project kit, then not have transferred it into Family Tree DNA. I think in that case he would still show up under country of origin, but not by name. (These kits begin with the letter N.) Otherwise, he may not have signed the consent form.

Comment

Hi Dwight,

If he transferred his results from Genographic he would have a N kit number, but if they never transfer their will not be any information posted in the database. It is possible he has turned off matching, or has not signed the release form. If you can please email us at [email protected] we should be able to try and help you get in touch with him.

Darren Marin
        -Family Tree DNA

Comment

Thank you Darren - fortunately before we got too far with this, the Denmark Project admin got back to me and in a very nice way straightened me out. Turns out I must need new glasses! In fact the match was 11/12 not 12/12, which is what I thought I was seeing. So in fact I do know who it is (he shows up as a 12 GD=1 match when I select any of the projects that he is in. So there is no mystery, other than why I thought my 23 on that particular marker was 22.

Sorry for the false alarm - and thanks for offering to help!

Originally posted by Darren View Post
          Hi Dwight,

If he transferred his results from Genographic he would have a N kit number, but if they never transfer their will not be any information posted in the database. It is possible he has turned off matching, or has not signed the release form. If you can please email us at [email protected] we should be able to try and help you get in touch with him.

Darren Marin
          -Family Tree DNA

Comment

Working...
          X