Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What migrations have your paternal lineage made from early modern to current?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barreldriver View Post
    Don't have to post real specific regarding current plotting (privacy protection and all) just curious to see the kinds of migrations made within the last 400 years or so, feel free to include some stories regarding why family migrations happened and such.

My lineage's migrations from the 1600's to now:

Hatfield Chase, Yorkshire, England ->Stainforth, Yorkshire, England (post 1626)->Whitgift, Yorkshire, England->Blacktoft, Yorkshire, England->Mecklenburg, Virginia (1773)->North Carolinian frontier->Overton County, Tennessee(1810-2011)->Northeast Ohio(Great Depression-2011) [we currently switch residencies between Overton County, Tennessee and Northeast Ohio depending on economy and other factors].

As for the move from Hatfield Chase to other parts of Yorkshire I can only think of one thing, the drainage. It caused a bit of turmoil among the common folk.

Let's see, 400 years ago, my ancestors were already in Canada, where they had already been for a few thousand years.

Comment

Originally posted by dwight View Post
      Nathan, presumably this is not your paternal N1c1 ancestor who you tracked down in England, right?
      No, I was just suggesting another possible place aeduna could search. The person I found more about was my mother's father's mother's mother's father, Isaac Parks. (The attached photo is a Civil War-era tintype of him.)

Originally posted by dwight View Post
      (You and I have a GD of 15 on 37 markers...)
      We're really that distant, and still both N1c1? There really must be a dearth of men in the N haplogroup. I have very few matches overall: four at 12 markers, and only one at 25 and 37 markers (with a GD of 2 and 4 respectively). We need more men from northern Russia, Finland, and the Baltic states to get tested. Since I'm here, I suppose I should actually respond to the subject of the thread.

Except for one rather significant move, my paternal line has stayed in the same two places for generations. My 5th paternal G-GF, Jons, was born about 1745 in Prussia. His family didn't really move for at least 3 generations, but the borders around them changed a few times. When he was born, the area was part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. It became part of the Kingdom of Prussia in 1795, for a short interlude part of Poland under the Russian Empire, then back under Prussia as part of the German Confederation. All this happened during his son's lifetime, my 4th G-GF, Martin (1780-1829). My 3rd G-GF, Gottlieb, was also born and presumably died there (1817-?), and the borders changed again after his son Ludwig, my 2nd G-GF was born in 1853. In 1871, it became part of the province of East Prussia under the German Empire. My G-GF, August, was also born there in 1880, but the whole family emigrated in 1888. Since they left, the area has changed hands yet a few more times. After WW I, it was fought over by Poland and Lithuania, then annexed by Hitler in 1939. After WW II, the whole area was split up. Today, the town where my 5th G-GF was married in 1779 (I don't know exactly where he was born) is in the far northeast corner of Poland, close to the borders of Belarus, Lithuania, and the Russian territory of Kaliningrad.

Ludwig, his wife, mother-in-law, and first three children (the oldest being my G-GF), departed from Hamburg, and arrived in New York City on Christmas Day, 1888. They must not have stayed long, because his wife was pregnant during the journey, and gave birth to their next son in St Paul, Minnesota in Jan 1889. By the time their next son was born, in 1892, they'd already settled on 80 acres in central Minnesota, near St Cloud. My G-GF moved into town around the time he got married in 1904, and Ludwig followed by 1910. My grandfather, August Jr, and father were both born here too.

Ludwig died here in 1938, August Sr in 1966, and August Jr (1911-2002) spent virtually his entire life here, except for a couple years in the army during WW II. But being much more mobile in the 20th century, I was born in Springfield, Illinois while my dad was in grad school. Our family continued to move around quite a bit during my childhood, but we eventually moved back to the same town, where I've also spent a large portion of my life.
      Attached Files

Comment

This is my Justified True Belief about my family's migrations

This is based on a bit of family tradition and a bit of research --

Maternal line -
        before 1200 - From Middle East/North Africa to Spain
        ca 1500s- Spain (probably Castille or Aragon) to Portugal
        ca 1600-1700s- Portugal to Mexico
        ca 1700s- Mexico City to Michoacan where they joined our Native
        American ancestors from the Purepecha tribe

Paternal line -
        ca 1800s - Paternal mother's family migrates from India to Israel
        ca 1800s - Paternal father's family migrates to Israel from location unknown;
        this family was of either recent European Origin or of European
        descent; both family lines settle in the area of Tel Aviv-Yaffa
        ca 1960s - Family migrates from Israel to Mexico via Africa, Spain, South
        America

Family now resides in USA.

Comment

That's what I'm here to find out.

The topic of this thread is the exact reason I did the Family Finder test. All my relatives are from Norway, except one mysterious person; My great grandfathers father. All I have to go by is the name Peter Lawden (probably misspelled) and the rumors that he was a Scottish pearl fisherman. And I know he was in Norway in 1871/1872.

Hopefully, Family Finder will help me find out if this is all lies or if I actually have Scottish ancestry. I have a suspicion the Scottish traveler might have been falsely pointed out as the father as it was probably easier for the mother to say the father was a person no longer living in the same county when her child was born out of wedlock. Time will tell!

Comment

Working...
          X