Adopted son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yaffa View Post
    Well would would someone pay $300 for just a % test when they probably wont get any matches with FF?? MT-DNA would give haplogroup. If they take FGS they might get some medical history with it. many adoptees dont come with medical history. If 23andme give FGS, Y 67 marker plus medical and % they are better off with 23andme
    I was working with the assumption that gaining information about the mother was not needed. The mtDNA won't help with the Y-DNA. 23andMe is another option, but it doesn't give a Full Gene Sequence. They are more medically oriented, but that isn't what was being asked for initially.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesKelley View Post
      I was working with the assumption that gaining information about the mother was not needed. The mtDNA won't help with the Y-DNA. 23andMe is another option, but it doesn't give a Full Gene Sequence. They are more medically oriented, but that isn't what was being asked for initially.
      The mother was stating that she was told her adopted son's bio mother was Spanish but the adopted mother does not believe this. The adoptive mother wanted to find out if her son's bio mother was Indian. She only has bio mothers name.

I was just stating for the price she could get a lot more info from 23andme than ff. Someone else in this thread suggested 23andme because they also give Y and MT with it and %. That test is also medal. So for the money they might be better off getting everything at 23and me

Comment

I think a ydna and mtdna test should be done for sure.

But admixture (autosomal dna) test results vary from company to company. A flaw with 23andme is their interpretation. They scan 500,000 SNPs but most of the SNPs can be found in more than one race. They only have Asian (from China), African, and European (based on people from Utah, USA). They don't have Native American. SNPs found in Europeans (which is their Utah, USA database) AND in Native Americans will be classified as European. The default setting is European. So they overestimate to European. That even happens to Africans. I read that there is a woman who posted in the 23andme community that her Ethiopian husband got a European score of about 90%. European, not African.
        Some SNPs listed as African are found in the Middle East and Central South Asia (mosaics in the Eurogenes Project).

If your son has SNPs that are found in Europeans and Native Americans but not Asians (Han Chinese), it will be listed as European.

Comment

Working...
        X