Verification Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verification Only

I am very happy with FTDNA but would like verification as to my Y-DNA and would like to get tested by another company.What would be the next best company that would be suitable for this?

Y-DNA-- Haplogroup O1a2 (Taiwan Aborigine)
    mt-DNA--Haplogroup L2a (African)
    Population Finder--- 47.9% West African
    12.72% Middle East
    39.38% Europe

I don't know if its the best or worst but believe its good enough. If you are doing DNA for Genealogy research why not use Ancestry. Prices are ok and they are teamed up with 23andme who does their testing. I should also mention that Ancestry is limited with what test they do. 23andme does other testing but prices seem high.
    Last edited by EdwardRHill; 31 January 2011, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
      they are teamed up with 23andme who does their testing.
      From the Ancestry DNA FAQs: "Ancestry.com DNA utilizes the state of the art laboratory, Sorenson Genomics, for its DNA testing services".

This is the same lab used by SMGF & GeneTree (the same 43 markers).

The link between Ancestry & 23andMe appears to be for advertising purposes.

Comment

No problems with Genebase

I originally tested with Genebase and had no problems at all with their service. They were much much quicker than FTDNA currently are with their turnaround. Keep in mind their Y-DNA test may require a couple of adjustments to values to conform to those of the other labs and also they test some different markers to that of FTDNA beyond the 37 markers. The Subclade test only took around 3 weeks as compared to the 3 months (and counting!) of FTDNA. The only other downside with Genebase is that they don't offer the various projects and helpful support from other members, which is why I also re-tested with FTDNA.

Comment

It depends -- are you talking about STRs only, or SNPs only, or both?

I don't think it's really necessary for either, but even less necessary for STRs. If you really want to confirm your SNPs for peace of mind, you could order relevant O SNPs with EthnoAncestry, or buy a 23andme test (though I am not sure how far down the O tree they test).

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
            It depends -- are you talking about STRs only, or SNPs only, or both?

I don't think it's really necessary for either, but even less necessary for STRs. If you really want to confirm your SNPs for peace of mind, you could order relevant O SNPs with EthnoAncestry, or buy a 23andme test (though I am not sure how far down the O tree they test).
            Assuming the nomenclature is the same, 23andMe tests the following SNPs for O1a2. The M numbers are SNPs discovered by Peter Underhill's lab at Stanford.

O1a2 defining mutations
            i3000004 (M110)
            rs2032609 (M103)
            rs2032632 (M50)

Comment

I would like to thank all the people that have given me guidance and I think I will go with Ancestry DNA. I thought before being tested here at FTDNA that my ancestry was African on both parents but was very surprised when the results on my father side indicated O1a2 (Asian). So you can see why I would like this verified by someone else.

Comment

DNA Diagnostics Center (DDC)

You could also check out the DNA Diagnostics Center (DDC).
                www.dnacenter.com

They are most known for paternity tests but they have a wide range of tests.
                They also have an admixture test (AncestryByDNA) that uses Ancestry Informative Markers, which are the good SNPs.
                Last edited by rainbow; 31 January 2011, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by charleslow View Post
                  I would like to thank all the people that have given me guidance and I think I will go with Ancestry DNA. I thought before being tested here at FTDNA that my ancestry was African on both parents but was very surprised when the results on my father side indicated O1a2 (Asian). So you can see why I would like this verified by someone else.
                  If the haplogroup is what you're most interested in confirming, I would advise NOT going with Ancestry. All their haplogroup assignments are predictions, and not very good ones at that, particularly with less common haplogroups. They don't do SNP testing at all, so you won't know if you're getting an accurate haplogroup assignment or not.

For confirmation of STR markers, Ancestry would be fine.

Another option is to simply have a known cousin on your direct paternal line order a test through FTDNA. If his results match yours, then you have your confirmation.

Or, before you spend any additional money, you could email or call FTDNA, let them know you received some unexpected results, and ask if they can review your results again.

Elise

Comment

Charleslow, check your private message.

Thanks.
                    Last edited by CWF; 1 February 2011, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X