The Haplotree page and my matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Haplotree page and my matches

I just noticed on the Haplotree page the tab for "my matches". The range of matches that I have are from Exact Matches to 1 through 4 step mutation. Its my guess that it give you a clue to which group you belong. But there seems to be more to it. What other information am I getting from this page? Besides which possible Haplotree group I belong to.

Yes, some clarification would be good. Since this is tied to the deep clade results, I'm thinking this must be a listing of one's SNP matches? rather than STP matches? If it's STP matches, it seems odd to lump -1 matches (is that the same as 1-step mutation?) at different marker levels (12, 25, 37, 67), but no differentiation is made. But if it's SNPs we're talking about, I guess I don't know what a mutation hierarchy (1-step, 2-step, etc.) means precisely. Help????

Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
    I just noticed on the Haplotree page the tab for "my matches". The range of matches that I have are from Exact Matches to 1 through 4 step mutation. Its my guess that it give you a clue to which group you belong. But there seems to be more to it. What other information am I getting from this page? Besides which possible Haplotree group I belong to.

Comment

RE Haplo matches

Wow! I'm sure glad you guys brought this to my attention. I never clicked on that tab before.My one steps are all Norway. But when I scroll down to the 4 steps, they include such exotic places as China, Mongolia, Tibet, India and Sri Lanka.

Comment

I look to have over 200 matches and out of that I have letters R, Q, F, T. The large majority of them are R and its different sub groups, than Q followed with one each F and T. All five groups from Exact to 4 step mutation have R and it sub groups. The 4 step mutation is where the other letters come in. My exact matches are three different groups of R and they are R1b1, R1b1b2, R1b1b2a1a. The first two have unknown origin and the third has United Kingdom.

One of my Y matches lives in Wales, England my other match lives in Australia and knows where his family came from Wales and Cheshire area.

Looking up information about the Haplogroups I found this

#
        How is my haplogroup determined?

Your haplogroup is automatically tested and confirmed for mtDNA tests. For Y-DNA tests, your haplogroup is predicted based on a large database that Family Tree DNA has for this purpose. The Y-DNA haplogroup database consists of the test results of participants in studies conducted and tested by Dr. Hammer at the University of Arizona.

Due to our high level of confidence in our prediction algorithm, most of the times a person will not be offered to order a confirmation test of their Haplogroup. However, on some occasions where we don

Comment

Originally posted by dwight View Post
          Yes, some clarification would be good. Since this is tied to the deep clade results, I'm thinking this must be a listing of one's SNP matches? rather than STP matches? If it's STP matches, it seems odd to lump -1 matches (is that the same as 1-step mutation?) at different marker levels (12, 25, 37, 67), but no differentiation is made. But if it's SNPs we're talking about, I guess I don't know what a mutation hierarchy (1-step, 2-step, etc.) means precisely. Help????
          Found a answer part of which is copied and pasted below

Genetic variation on the non-recombining portion of the Y chromosome contains information about the ancestry of male lineages. Because of their low rate of mutation, single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) are the markers of choice for unambiguously classifying Y chromosomes into related sets of lineages known as haplogroups, which tend to show geographic structure in many parts of the world. However, performing the large number of SNP genotyping tests needed to properly infer haplogroup status is expensive and time consuming.

Comment

Edward, was there more to this? (And why does the forum software truncate our messages???)

Found a answer part of which is copied and pasted below

Genetic variation on the non-recombining portion of the Y chromosome contains information about the ancestry of male lineages. Because of their low rate of mutation, single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) are the markers of choice for unambiguously classifying Y chromosomes into related sets of lineages known as haplogroups, which tend to show geographic structure in many parts of the world. However, performing the large number of SNP genotyping tests needed to properly infer haplogroup status is expensive and time consuming.

Comment

Edward, was there more to this? (And why does the forum software truncate our messages???)
              Noting that will help you the rest was about the tools they use to figure it out. But if you want to see what it said do a search for Predicting Y-Chromosome Halplogroups. Not sure what you mean about truncate but maybe its a soft ware problem or cookies cutting messages sort that you copy and paste.
              Last edited by EdwardRHill; 26 January 2011, 10:25 PM.

Comment

OK, I'm just not sure how that answers the question, which was how are the matches listed on the "My Matches" tab of the Y-Haplotree page (https://www.familytreedna.com/my-ftd...haplotree.aspx) arrived at?
                Matches are grouped by number of step mutations (1 thru 4), but there is no mention of the number of markers or anything. So who are these matches of mine, listed by Country, some with Comments such as "Chinese Ethnic Minority," "Native Siberian," "Native American/European Ancestry". All very interesting, but I'd love to know more about how this list is arrived at!

Noting that will help you the rest was about the tools they use to figure it out. But if you want to see what it said do a search for Predicting Y-Chromosome Halplogroups. Not sure what you mean about truncate but maybe its a soft ware problem or cookies cutting messages sort that you copy and paste.

Comment

OK, I'm just not sure how that answers the question, which was how are the matches listed on the "My Matches" tab of the Y-Haplotree page (https://www.familytreedna.com/my-ftd...haplotree.aspx) arrived at?
                  Matches are grouped by number of step mutations (1 thru 4), but there is no mention of the number of markers or anything. So who are these matches of mine, listed by Country, some with Comments such as "Chinese Ethnic Minority," "Native Siberian," "Native American/European Ancestry". All very interesting, but I'd love to know more about how this list is arrived at!
                  I don't think we will get a much better answer. Probably something to do with trade secrets. You or one of the earlier post mentioned SNP's that what I copied and pasted also mention SNP's. What I thought they were doing was taking your matches and comparing the different groups to get an idea. The largest group was your Haplogroup. I was thinking it was easier than it actually is. I just don't see a point to that page if you just get a bunch of information you don't know what to do with or what its for. I think it would be helpful to know how the list is arrived at too. I getting feed up with a lot of it, you contact matches and they don't reply. I'm thankful for what I have for my Y but FF I think I should have saved my money.
                  Last edited by EdwardRHill; 26 January 2011, 11:26 PM.

Comment

The Haplotree "My Matches" page is simply a listing of your 12-marker matches (exact through GD=4) in the FTDNA database who have been SNP-tested.

Both backbone-tested and deep-clade-tested matches are listed. Also, if someone did a deep-clade test a year or two ago and didn't do the deep-clade "extended" test to get new downstream SNPs that have been added to the tree since, they will still be listed with their original deep-clade result.

So this page can be used to see why you have the haplogroup prediction that you do, or what your subclade might be if you had the deep-clade test. Of course, keep in mind that 12-marker matches can actually be in different subclades -- especially those in R1b1b2 -- which is why FTDNA often can't predict deeper than the backbone haplogroup.

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
                      The Haplotree "My Matches" page is simply a listing of your 12-marker matches (exact through GD=4) in the FTDNA database who have been SNP-tested.

Both backbone-tested and deep-clade-tested matches are listed. Also, if someone did a deep-clade test a year or two ago and didn't do the deep-clade "extended" test to get new downstream SNPs that have been added to the tree since, they will still be listed with their original deep-clade result.

So this page can be used to see why you have the haplogroup prediction that you do, or what your subclade might be if you had the deep-clade test. Of course, keep in mind that 12-marker matches can actually be in different subclades -- especially those in R1b1b2 -- which is why FTDNA often can't predict deeper than the backbone haplogroup.

Elise
                      Thanks, that makes since and I'm glad you took the time to explain it.

Comment

Haplogroups

I have been trying to follow the intricacies in the above thread.
                        I have had my YDNA tested to 67 markers.
                        I have had my Deep Sublade confirmed and have applied for further tests on this following the recent change of nomenclature.
                        I note that I have an exact Haplogroup match in a neighbouring country on the "My Matches" tag of the Haplogroup page.
                        is this just an interesting finding, or can I follow through on this?
                        The Haplogroup listing gives the appearance of being a hyperlink, but leads nowhere.
                        My apologies if this has been dealt with before.
                        Tom
                        R1b1a2a1a14
                        U106+ L48+ U198- P107- L1-

Comment

I note that I have an exact Haplogroup match in a neighbouring country on the "My Matches" tag of the Haplogroup page.
                          is this just an interesting finding, or can I follow through on this?
                          The Haplogroup listing gives the appearance of being a hyperlink, but leads nowhere.
                          I think from what i have read , these exact matches or as in my case, one step mutations through 5 step mutations are just a reference group. They are not people who can be contacted or with whom you can compare markers with.
                          So in a sense it doesn't go anywhere other than to place you in your haplogroup.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

The people who show up in your "regular" matches under yDNA also show up in your Haplotree "My Matches". But the reverse is not necessarily true; for example, the Haplotree matches will show those up to a genetic distance of 4 on 12 markers, but those will never show up under your regular matches for 12 markers.

Comment

Working...
                              X