Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HVR2 Match

Hi,
    I found an exact match for my mtDNA HVR2 markers but our HVR1 markers are not an exact match. What does this mean? Why does our HVR2 match but not the HVR1? Are we related?
    Thanks!

HVR2 match

Originally posted by happy
    Hi,
    I found an exact match for my mtDNA HVR2 markers but our HVR1 markers are not an exact match. What does this mean? Why does our HVR2 match but not the HVR1? Are we related?
    Thanks!
    Hi Happy,

How close is the HVR1 match? basically, sometimes the mutations that seperate us from closely related lineages are on HVR1, & sometimes they are on HVR2.

Angela.

Comment

Hi Angela,
      I share 4 of the HVR1 markers with him. But I have 5 extra markers that he doesn't have and he has 3 that I don't have. It would seem like that's proof that we're not closely related but then why would we have the same HVR2 markers? Why do people share the same HVR2 DNA? That's what I'm confused about--how I can have an exact match of my HVR2 with someone but not my HVR1. Is this common? Do you have any clues?
      Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by happy
        Hi Angela,
        I share 4 of the HVR1 markers with him. But I have 5 extra markers that he doesn't have and he has 3 that I don't have. It would seem like that's proof that we're not closely related but then why would we have the same HVR2 markers? Why do people share the same HVR2 DNA? That's what I'm confused about--how I can have an exact match of my HVR2 with someone but not my HVR1. Is this common? Do you have any clues?
        Thanks!
        Hi Happy,

I'm not sure what the "official" answer is,...but my observations are..

The same thing can happen with HVR1 as well. For instance I match over 118 people on HVR1 (the two defining mutations for haplotype K), with a time to most recent ancestor of about 20,000 years. On the other hand, I only share the same HVR2 mutations with one other person.

My fathers mtDNA is sort of similar to yours - he has lots of matches on just HVR2, but only a handful on HVR1 (& only one match on HVR1+HVR2)

When the different mtDNA lineages branch off, sometimes more mutations occur in HVR1 & sometimes more in HVR2.....at least, thats the impression I get.

Angela.

Comment

Re HVR 1 & 2

Hello List & Angela ; I have a similiar problem re matching HVR1 & 2. I am matching two people on both , but with one difference on HVR2 , would there be any significance to that ? Ancient ancestor ? Thanks ,KAT.

Comment

Hi Angela,
            Thanks for the explanation. That makes alot of sense. I get it now. It's so exciting to finally have a DNA match with another person.

Originally posted by AngelaCP
            Hi Happy,

I'm not sure what the "official" answer is,...but my observations are..

The same thing can happen with HVR1 as well. For instance I match over 118 people on HVR1 (the two defining mutations for haplotype K), with a time to most recent ancestor of about 20,000 years. On the other hand, I only share the same HVR2 mutations with one other person.

My fathers mtDNA is sort of similar to yours - he has lots of matches on just HVR2, but only a handful on HVR1 (& only one match on HVR1+HVR2)

When the different mtDNA lineages branch off, sometimes more mutations occur in HVR1 & sometimes more in HVR2.....at least, thats the impression I get.

Angela.

Comment

Working...
            X