Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

no highlights or red numbers on the chart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no highlights or red numbers on the chart?

On a surname project, what does it mean if there are no red letters or highlights at all on my dna ? I figured out which number I am on the chart on the YDNA surname project no I don't really understand what the chart means. Nearly every other smample has highlighted numbers or red markers somewhere across the board except me. Mine all look the same. What does this mean?

Why don't you give us the link to the chart and your kit # so that we can see exactly what you're referring to?

In general:

* Haplogroups listed in red text are predicted; haplogroups in green text are SNP-tested/confirmed. If you have a dash (-) instead of a haplogroup name in that column, that means FTDNA hasn't predicted your haplogroup yet.

* If you're looking at a colorized Y-DNA Results chart on an FTDNA project site, marker values that are highlighted in shades of pink/red/blue are different from the modal (most common) values for that subgroup. There should be a ribbon that shows what Genetic Distance each color/shade represents, but I'm not seeing that on one of the public charts that I'm viewing right now (we have it on the admin charts).

* Marker names like DYS385, DYS439, etc that are highlighted in red are those that tend to have faster mutation rates.

Comment

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....na/Baldwin.htm

There is the chart. Good luck. I have no clue what this stuff means. My project co-ordinator is really really smart and I'm sure he really means well but I just cannot understand him.
      Last edited by smith1; 6 January 2011, 01:32 AM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Ok, your project admin is using his own website for the chart, so the coloring is a bit different from what I explained in my previous response, but the concepts are the same.

On the Baldwin chart, the numbers in red text are those that differ from the modal (most common) value for each cluster or family group. In surname projects, the modal values are usually presumed to be the values that the common ancestor of the group would have had. Any values that differ from the modal are mutations that happened in descendants of the common ancestor.

So if you start at the top of the chart, the first row of numbers are the modal values for Cluster 1. The second row, ID#5, is a member of that cluster. He has a red 16 in the DYS458 column because it differs from the modal value for that cluster, which is 17.

In effect, your project admin is simply highlighting the small differences between related project members.

If your own results have no red numbers, that just means you match the modal on all your tested markers -- and there haven't been any mutations on those markers between the cluster's common ancestor and you. (Unless your results are in the last two rows of the chart -- in those two cases, there's no red text because those results aren't part of any of the clusters above and actually are in completely different haplogroups from everyone else in the project -- so there's no cluster modal for comparison of those results).
        Last edited by efgen; 6 January 2011, 03:27 AM.

Comment

that makes sense. Thanks. That was kind of you to explain that.

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
            Ok, your project admin is using his own website for the chart, so the coloring is a bit different from what I explained in my previous response, but the concepts are the same.

On the Baldwin chart, the numbers in red text are those that differ from the modal (most common) value for each cluster or family group. In surname projects, the modal values are usually presumed to be the values that the common ancestor of the group would have had. Any values that differ from the modal are mutations that happened in descendants of the common ancestor.

So if you start at the top of the chart, the first row of numbers are the modal values for Cluster 1. The second row, ID#5, is a member of that cluster. He has a red 16 in the DYS458 column because it differs from the modal value for that cluster, which is 17.

In effect, your project admin is simply highlighting the small differences between related project members.

If your own results have no red numbers, that just means you match the modal on all your tested markers -- and there haven't been any mutations on those markers between the cluster's common ancestor and you. (Unless your results are in the last two rows of the chart -- in those two cases, there's no red text because those results aren't part of any of the clusters above and actually are in completely different haplogroups from everyone else in the project -- so there's no cluster modal for comparison of those results).
            I have detailed records of my family tree all the way back in the 1600's. My Main purpose for the test was to try to confirm all that. The project co-ordinator says that I match all the other people that have the same paperwork on their family tree's on that particular line. How confident would you say that I can be that the paperwork is correct now ?

Comment

Working...
            X