Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I used 23andme, should I also use familytreedna?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I used 23andme, should I also use familytreedna?

I was wondering what is the difference with the two? I just sent out my sample for 23andme and now I'm wondering if I should also test with familytreeDNA? How do the 2 differ and would it be a waste of money to do both? I am trying to study my families origins and wondering which test I should get from FTDNA if so.

Originally posted by PILMAN View Post
    I was wondering what is the difference with the two? I just sent out my sample for 23andme and now I'm wondering if I should also test with familytreeDNA? How do the 2 differ and would it be a waste of money to do both? I am trying to study my families origins and wondering which test I should get from FTDNA if so.
    Might as well the more tests the better IMO. Gives a more full picture.

The two really don't differ a whole lot in what they provide in ancestry analysis, the main differences are in the choice of SNP's and such (23andMe tests for SNP's relevant to health analysis along with ancestry, FTDNA does more of an ancestry oriented one).

As for interpreting the results I would not rely solely on the FTDNA Population Finder graphs or the 23andMe ancestry painting, but rather compare the two to other analysis of raw data provided by the Eurogenes Project, Dr. Doug McDonald, and the Dodecad Ancestry Project (these providing further breakdowns and such thus telling more than the very general paintings provided by FTDNA or 23andMe).

Comment

You will find FTDNA is better oriented to ancestry research. Try them too and you can see for yourself which you like. I have tested with both and I like FTDNA much better.

Comment

How many markers should I test?

Comment

there are 3 DNA tests at FTDNA and 1 test at 23andMe.

The answer depends on what you want to test for: ancestors, a surname match or a haplogroup match?

As for which test at FTDNA - if you want to test for recent ancestors than choose Family Finder. If you want to test for a list of people that your Y DNA matches, such as looking for a surname match or surname research, then test with the Y DNA 37 marker test from FTDNA. The mtDNA tests are probably not necessary again if you have already tested with 23andMe Relative Finder as it will report your mtDNA haplogroup too. The only advantage you would have by retesting mtDNA with FTDNA is if you wanted to use their company database of other mtDNA tests for comparing to yours.

If you want to test the Y chromosome, (a male only test) choose FTDNA YDNA 37 markers and your results will tell you if you match other people in the database with same or similar markers. This test is to assist with surname projects and searches and only works father to son to son to son, etc. and it will not find other ancestors that are related such as those from your father's mother or mother's parents. You can not get this test from 23andMe as they do not test 37 markers; they test only SNPs to determine a long range haplogroup. The advantage of the marker test vs. the SNP test is again for purposes of comparing to a database of other Y DNA tests.

Family Finder (FTDNA) is very similar to Relative Finder (23andMe) in terms of looking for ancestry matches 1 to 6 generations back. This is the test I am saying I prefer over 23andMe. This test will also find ancestors to your father's mother and your mother's parents. Like 23andMe Relative Finder, this test is the best one for researching your family tree. What I had meant earlier was to take this test and compare it to 23andMe and I believe you will find this test is your preference. It is mine anyway.
          Last edited by mkdexter; 1 January 2011, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X