No announcement yet.

What are you hiding from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think that women should give their real names.
    The net is a weirdo's play ground.
    Do your part and post your tree (leaving out the living) and maybe someone will answer your queries.

Comment

All true and interesting points.

On the other hand, you may still be able to obtain some marginally relevant genealogical data from a non-responder using an alias. It is curious how often folks will use the same aliases in multiple forums/media.

If this person really has any information to offer, and has been on the genealogy trail for any length of time, there's a decent chance that he/she has posted some hints of it, under this same alias, in some public forums. A simple Goodle search could return some clues.

Originally posted by FredSpringer View Post
      I can't say it bothers me when someone uses an alias instead of their real name. I find it more frustrating when they hide their genealogical information or make their DNA results unavailable, but that is their decision not mine and I live with it.
      The use of an alias is now part of the internet culture. It is used in forums, email, social networks, blogs, etc. It is a kind of artistic release for some, and an alter ego for others. I imagine that if you had a burning desire to know their actual name, you could inquire in a private message and exchange more information than they are comfortable with displaying in a public forum.

Comment

Also something that I wonder about. What happens to our DNA results ? They send our results to us but who else has access to it? What about our personal information that we provided to this company that tested our DNA ? What about our actual sample we sent in ? What happens to it once the test is run ? What if someone who actually understands what all the markers mean and what it all means has access to it ?

Comment

The University of Arizona is where the majority of DNA is housed and most of the testing is run. The University only receives the vials with your bar code and which test to run, they have no access to the information you provide on your account. If some famous celebrity is tested there DNA could be sitting right next to yours in the lab and no one would ever know it.

It would be unethical for them and us as a business to run tests on your samples without your knowledge, plus it would be extremely expensive. Should you have any concerns you can email [email protected] for more information regarding privacy.

-Darren Marin
          Family Tree DNA

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow View Post
            I saw a tv show once, about a genetic disorder found at a high rate in one of those inbred closed religious societies, I think it was the Mennonites. Maybe Amish. So since I match one ex-Mennonite I probably match lots more, but the Mennonites are only sharing with other Mennonites. He told me that a lot of them have tested with 23andme.

I also have 1 Ashkenazi 4th cousin match that I share two segments with. And one distant match. But Ashkenazi's in general seem very open and willing to share. So I think my mystery matches (my non-sharers) are a mix of adoptees, Mennonites, and maybe some thick-headed people who are just ornery to begin with. And maybe some international spies?
            Update: My 23andme Ashkenazi 4th cousin Relative Finder match has been moved to "Distant Cousin". I now have 2 Distant Cousin matches. But both have some non-Ashkenazi ancestry, so that may be where we connect.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                If some famous celebrity is tested there DNA could be sitting right next to yours in the lab and no one would ever know it.
                He's talking about my DNA.. You didn't know mine was right next to yours now did you.....

Comment

Originally posted by smith1 View Post
                  Also something that I wonder about. What happens to our DNA results ? They send our results to us but who else has access to it? What about our personal information that we provided to this company that tested our DNA ? What about our actual sample we sent in ? What happens to it once the test is run ? What if someone who actually understands what all the markers mean and what it all means has access to it ?
                  So what if someone gets your DNA. It is useless to anyone else.
                  Last edited by mkdexter; 6 January 2011, 01:17 AM.

Comment

so when I show up at MY door and he says he's from the "university" I'll know what happened ?

Comment

Do What?

Originally posted by smith1 View Post
                      so when I show up at MY door and he says he's from the "university" I'll know what happened ?
                      I don't know about you but I show up at MY door several times a day. Of course my door doesn't talk to my.

Comment

Not the door talking. I think smith1 meant that if his clone from the university shows up at his door one day (in search of his biological parent) then smith1 will know how that happened.

Scientists like to experiment. Who knows what else is happening with our extra dna samples. They could be making clones for stem cell research or body parts. The scientists could swab themselves and use their own dna or use an already-collected dna swabs from anonymous people (you and me). There could many labs that are secretly doing that. Or individual scientists. Maybe that is why so many swabs yield nothing (were taken and switched with blank swabs) and we have to re-swab when we order another test.

Did you know that scientients also do experiments with embryos and placenta?
                        Last edited by rainbow; 6 January 2011, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Did you know that scientists BUY DNA swabs (very cheaply) from starving students and lab assistants and they don't need your raggedy old DNA? And that they have to have extensive permission forms before using anyone's DNA for any kind of experiment? And that labs, especially university labs, are under rigorous supervision by the university on all such ethics issues? And that any university lab that signs an agreement with an outside firm for LOTS MORE MONEY than they get from in-house would be total idiots to risk losing that money by monkeying around with the process? Or that if someone wanted your DNA they could take your tossed out Micky D cup, or an old toothbrush or darn near anything else legally? Except, oddly, university employees who have an ethics committee to answer to and need those reams of paperwork for each subject.

Also, frankly, what makes you so important that they'd want to clone you anyway? And how would they know who you are? Going off the deep end here peeps... just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Kasandra View Post
                            Did you know that scientists BUY DNA swabs (very cheaply) from starving students and lab assistants and they don't need your raggedy old DNA? And that they have to have extensive permission forms before using anyone's DNA for any kind of experiment? And that labs, especially university labs, are under rigorous supervision by the university on all such ethics issues? And that any university lab that signs an agreement with an outside firm for LOTS MORE MONEY than they get from in-house would be total idiots to risk losing that money by monkeying around with the process? Or that if someone wanted your DNA they could take your tossed out Micky D cup, or an old toothbrush or darn near anything else legally? Except, oddly, university employees who have an ethics committee to answer to and need those reams of paperwork for each subject.

Also, frankly, what makes you so important that they'd want to clone you anyway? And how would they know who you are? Going off the deep end here peeps... just sayin'.
                            LOL perhaps, dey wunts meh DNA becuz im shhoo shhhmart ? Or maybe cuz im so good wookin ? Or maybe cuz they know i have superior DNA becuz i wuz one of the chosen few to be born in the great state of ALabama ! did yous ever tink of that ?????????????????

Comment

Working...
                            X