What are you hiding from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you hiding from?

As I read the messages on this forum I wonder why so many of the members are hiding who they are. I would think most of you are interested in genealogy and family.

Many list all kinds of information about their genetic make up but hide behind some made up name. Maybe I'm just too old. I would rather address someone as Joe or Jill in place of some made up code like "007".

If you use your name a relative might find you and I thought that is what this is all about.

Privacy is one reason the other is people post using more than one account for some reason it maybe because they like me didn't realize that their real name would appear and thought that it was just for signing up. If I can figure out how to change mine I will because I didn't realize it would be used as my screen ID. Only because of Privacy and the fact that there are a lot of nuts in this would and people who are looking for new Identities. Just call me Jim Barrett from Timpson Texas.
    Last edited by EdwardRHill; 23 December 2010, 09:30 AM.

Comment

If I wanted your ID I would not get it here - that's for sure.

Either join the club and share info - or stop wasting people's time. The whole purpose for DNA testing is to compare to other people in the database. What good is a match if the other side is so unwilling to share and wants to hide.

Same goes for privacy due to health reasons. If you are afraid to reveal your "supposed" health info then don't take the tests. Nothing in a DNA test proves you have what your DNA says but I guarantee you'll be more prone to get it if you go around thinking you already got it before you do.

The only real health issue you might get from these DNA tests is a big case of worry-warts. The only identity you might lose by being afraid of these DNA tests is the identity of your distant relatives.

Fear is nothing but False Evidence Appearing Real.
      Last edited by mkdexter; 23 December 2010, 11:03 AM.

Comment

I agree, whats the point of taking the test at FTDNA if you don't want to share. 23andme are the ones that test for what you could have not FTDNA if I'm not mistaken. But privacy probably is the reason for using ID's like "007, Rainbow, gtc" and thats what he asked about.

Comment

My username on this forum (and dna-forum) is rainbow. I actually tried to register as Elizabeth, but it was not available/already taken. I later re-registered with a new email address and was able to get my name, but with wiggly lines in front and back. I think I did ask a long time ago if my posts under both usernames can be joined into just one, but it can't. I have two usernames here:
          rainbow
          ~Elizabeth~

I am astonished that anyone (except scientists and authors) would want their full name as their public username. In some instances it was obviously unintentional. I've seen email addresses as usernames.
          I haven't done FTDNA's FF, but I've done 23andme's RF and I am not rainbow there. I was at first, but I emailed them and they were happy to change my public display name. Most of my 307 matches don't share info with me. I think most are probably adopted and don't have info. I have one match who used to be a Mennonite and said others are only sharing with Mennonites. And I have 1 Anabaptist match.

Comment

I saw a tv show once, about a genetic disorder found at a high rate in one of those inbred closed religious societies, I think it was the Mennonites. Maybe Amish. So since I match one ex-Mennonite I probably match lots more, but the Mennonites are only sharing with other Mennonites. He told me that a lot of them have tested with 23andme.

I also have 1 Ashkenazi 4th cousin match that I share two segments with. And one distant match. But Ashkenazi's in general seem very open and willing to share. So I think my mystery matches (my non-sharers) are a mix of adoptees, Mennonites, and maybe some thick-headed people who are just ornery to begin with. And maybe some international spies?
            Last edited by rainbow; 23 December 2010, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow View Post
              My username on this forum (and dna-forum) is rainbow. I actually tried to register as Elizabeth, but it was not available/already taken. I later re-registered with a new email address and was able to get my name, but with wiggly lines in front and back. I think I did ask a long time ago if my posts under both usernames can be joined into just one, but it can't. I have two usernames here:
              rainbow
              ~Elizabeth~

I am astonished that anyone (except scientists and authors) would want their full name as their public username. In some instances it was obviously unintentional. I've seen email addresses as usernames.
              I haven't done FTDNA's FF, but I've done 23andme's RF and I am not rainbow there. I was at first, but I emailed them and they were happy to change my public display name. Most of my 307 matches don't share info with me. I think most are probably adopted and don't have info. I have one match who used to be a Mennonite and said others are only sharing with Mennonites. And I have 1 Anabaptist match.
              You forgot to name the Mormons. Myself being a Baptist, I share even though I took our tree underground because of the non-sharing.
              I will help anyone that was adopted or totally lost though.

Merry Christmas

Comment

Originally posted by darroll View Post
                You forgot to name the Mormons. Myself being a Baptist, I share even though I took our tree underground because of the non-sharing.
                I will help anyone that was adopted or totally lost though.

Merry Christmas
                Merry Christmas Darrol

Maybe your male relative did his mtdna because he suspects he was adopted. If he already knows he was, then he may be reluctant to say so. All he knows is that his mtdna matches your family. He may not have his original birth certificate. Most states don't let adoptees get their birth certificates.

I do match a Mormon. Maybe two? One day I suddenly had two new matches and I sent them invites and they accepted at the same time too. Both were Danish men with names ending in -sen. But both were American on their mothers side. I think? The one who is an X match has an American mother. I was communicating with both of them at the same time, but at least one is a Mormon. From what I remember they didn't give me their family trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                  As I read the messages on this forum I wonder why so many of the members are hiding who they are. I would think most of you are interested in genealogy and family.:
                  I heard there was a crazy guy named Jim Barrett who would make accusations about people hiding.

I don't try to hide. My email address is a combination of my first name [at] last name LLC.com. I do that, and I have an IT security background. I want people to be able to contact me, so I put it out there. Besides, I also know that if you are on the Internet you cannot hide. If someone wants to find you, they can. If someone is motivated and willing to spend a little money, they can even figure out which magazines you read or whether you have a dog or cat.. all from databases that investigators use.

In general though, nobody cares. If anyone on this forum found out my deepest and darkest secrets, none of you would care. Just make sure you don't post your drunken photos or say bad things about your boss on Facebook. Or post when you are going on vacation on your local ThievesRUs website.

Comment

Being one of the adoptees here, I don't think adoptees want to hide. We are the first ones to say "I'd love to share something but I have nothing" rather than just ignore your emails.

The only reason an adoptee would "hide" is if they believe that mentioning adoption would get the door slammed in their face real quick.

But if you're an adoptee and doing FF or RF - what is the point if you don't want to be in contact with somebody, anybody, you might be related to?

Comment

The truth is... and I really wasn't going to tell anyone... I'm part of a scientific program... It's called DNA testing and the only way it works is if.......

we all share...

Have a Merry Christmas.
                      Last edited by mkdexter; 23 December 2010, 06:16 PM.

Comment

I respect and condone anonymity.

I have no issue with using a screen name. If we have pertinent and personal information to share, then we can send each other messages privately using that function. We also have Y Search #'s to identify with in many cases. I think that we can think of more productive issues in which to consort and complain about such as the lack of trees submitted to projects, or the lack of responses by participants.

Comment

I agree, the whole point of this is to find others who may be closely related. I don't mind using my name as a screen name personally, I'm an open book. As far as the message boards are concerned I don't think having a cute screen name or alter ego is a problem. I don't think I'm going to find any relatives by reading the boards.

I've done my genealogy extensively, and this is the next logical step. My primary reason for having my DNA tested is because for much of my life my dad insisted that he was sterile (he worked in uranium mines in the 50's and 60's and a doctor told him he couldn't have children) yet there are four of us lol. He was a great dad, don't get me wrong, it's not like those bad made for tv movies, he just insisted that he couldn't have children. I also have my mother's address books from the time I was born, and I know the names of all her close male friends from the same time. Sooooo, to either prove him right or wrong I'm testing myself. My problem with the way result are posted is two-fold:
                          1 Some people don't want their name shown, and I understand that on some level, but how in the world can I verify relation if I don't have a name to go off.
                          2 When we signed up for this we are told to put an ancestral location outside of the US, leave blank if not known. That is totally useless for many people (ie, adoptees or those researching NPEs) There should be an option to put location of earliest known ancestor, even if it was in Idaho in 1970. When I see unknown I think "that's just lazy", but then remember they may not have had the option.

SMGF lists all locations in the line in the results which makes it easy for me to scan and exclude those who I'm certain aren't closely enough related for me to care about. It's a requirement for their service, and I think a great one. I'm going to get more testing done through them, hopefully free since my Selk ancestors came from an area in their 'area of interest' (for what it's worth lol) They'll also test the mtDNA free. Funny thing is, some 11,000 people in Utah have submitted their DNA and genealogies (referring to the previous post about Mormons) I know they do take it seriously and keep their family histories out of sight, but I guess free a good way to get them to cough it up lol

Paul

Comment

OK, so I Googled "SMGF", found the website, read a bit, saw that their equivalent of ySearch.org is genetree.org, uploaded my yDNA results .... and got 1 perfect (32/32) match. Great. Too bad the identity is protected.
                            Without any anoymous route by which to contact them. Thanks a lot.

Originally posted by paulselk View Post
                            I agree, the whole point of this is to find others who may be closely related. I don't mind using my name as a screen name personally, I'm an open book. As far as the message boards are concerned I don't think having a cute screen name or alter ego is a problem. I don't think I'm going to find any relatives by reading the boards.

I've done my genealogy extensively, and this is the next logical step. My primary reason for having my DNA tested is because for much of my life my dad insisted that he was sterile (he worked in uranium mines in the 50's and 60's and a doctor told him he couldn't have children) yet there are four of us lol. He was a great dad, don't get me wrong, it's not like those bad made for tv movies, he just insisted that he couldn't have children. I also have my mother's address books from the time I was born, and I know the names of all her close male friends from the same time. Sooooo, to either prove him right or wrong I'm testing myself. My problem with the way result are posted is two-fold:
                            1 Some people don't want their name shown, and I understand that on some level, but how in the world can I verify relation if I don't have a name to go off.
                            2 When we signed up for this we are told to put an ancestral location outside of the US, leave blank if not known. That is totally useless for many people (ie, adoptees or those researching NPEs) There should be an option to put location of earliest known ancestor, even if it was in Idaho in 1970. When I see unknown I think "that's just lazy", but then remember they may not have had the option.

SMGF lists all locations in the line in the results which makes it easy for me to scan and exclude those who I'm certain aren't closely enough related for me to care about. It's a requirement for their service, and I think a great one. I'm going to get more testing done through them, hopefully free since my Selk ancestors came from an area in their 'area of interest' (for what it's worth lol) They'll also test the mtDNA free. Funny thing is, some 11,000 people in Utah have submitted their DNA and genealogies (referring to the previous post about Mormons) I know they do take it seriously and keep their family histories out of sight, but I guess free a good way to get them to cough it up lol

Paul

Comment

We had all the tests done thru FTDNA.
                              I get on the long lists of matches and only a hand full of people show their family names. I won't even bother to contact the people that don't show any names. (i'm not talking about people that don't know).
                              Do your research or take up sewing.
                              I have an exact match on SMGF and the information is hidden. I won't go back. Maybe they want me to pay $200.00 bucks a year to see my match.

Comment

Working...
                              X