No FGS Matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No FGS Matches

I know it means that nobody with your genome has tested to match...

What would a family finder test tell me? I'm thinking about taking the family finder test - is that more autosomal? What will family finder tell me that an FGS can't?

Anything I don't know already or new things?

I also have no FGS matches. I am H1c.

Family Finder is autosomal. I haven't done FF, but from what I read most people get very few matches if any.

Comment

Come on.........................
      I have lots of matches on FF.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow View Post
        I haven't done FF, but from what I read most people get very few matches if any.
        It's probably true to say that most people have very few close matches.

I have a total of 51 matches -- all at the 4th or 5th cousin distance, which is not considered close.

Comment

I'm sure when my FGS results come in I will have no matches. I have only one HVR1+2 match (and that match has no contact email nor gedcom info). In family finder though, I have 60 matches, 1 predicted 3rd cousin, 3 predicted 4th cousins, the rest distant. My aunt has 124 FF matches, 2 predicted 3rd cousins, 7 4th, the rest distant.
          Last edited by smallaxe; 17 December 2010, 08:33 AM.

Comment

FGS matches

Hi,

I only have one 5th distance in which FF has predicted at 4.5. Other then that, 5+ generations.

I1d1 P-109 and H2a2b1.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
              It's probably true to say that most people have very few close matches.

I have a total of 51 matches -- all at the 4th or 5th cousin distance, which is not considered close.
              To me 51 in Family Finder is few, compared to my 306 matches with 23andme. I'm gloating.
              But I lose my smile when I have to say that none of my 306 matches are close. I have some 4th cousins and the bulk of my matches are 5th cousins. One of my cousin matches has the same mtdna haplogroup as me, H1c, but we are not an FGS match, although he is one of my perfect HVR1&HVR2 matches. So we aren't related on the direct maternal line. But I wonder how old our HVR1&HVR2 match is.

Comment

To me 51 in Family Finder is few, compared to my 306 matches with 23andme. I'm gloating.
                But I lose my smile when I have to say that none of my 306 matches are close. I have some 4th cousins and the bulk of my matches are 5th cousins. One of my cousin matches has the same mtdna haplogroup as me, H1c, but we are not an FGS match, although he is one of my perfect HVR1&HVR2 matches. So we aren't related on the direct maternal line. But I wonder how old our HVR1&HVR2 match is.
                Can I get mad at blonde Indians right before Christmas?

Comment

Originally posted by darroll View Post
                  Can I get mad at blonde Indians right before Christmas?
                  Do you mean me? Yes you can. I'm sorry about mentioning another company. Merry Christmas Darroll.

How about we make a deal? I won't mention another company again if you tell that adopted-out male relative of yours that he is your relative and who his mom is?
                  Last edited by rainbow; 17 December 2010, 07:22 PM.

Comment

re 5th cousins. looking at my approx 100 FamilyFinder matches, it would appear they are mostly on my WASP side - not the Irish, Dutch, German or Danish sides. i'm really speculating here - it's not like i've tracked down all of them or anything. but i'm wondering if anyone has done a calculation: for those of us who have a number of family lines that came to this country from the British Isles in the 1600 and 1700s, if you picked any two of us living today, what are the odds that we are related as, say 5th-to-9th cousins? The two with whom we've actually traced our paper trail common ancestor, we are related in more than one way. i guess this is why i'm thinking for those of us whose ancestors have been here +/- 300 years, are we basically all related to one another as distance cousins?

Comment

Yes I think America may have had a "bottleneck" (I hope it means what I think it means).

While I have matches from many countries in 23andme's Ancestry Finder, most of my matches are Americans, second most are from the UK. Most are not sharing genes with me and aren't communicating with me. My H1c 5th cousin is French Canadian. His French ancestors went straight to Canada from France. We are most likely 9th cousins, 3x, and link may be before 1600 and in France because my known French ancestors (from the same region as his ancestors) went straight to Staten Island in New York.

Comment

Do you mean me? Yes you can. I'm sorry about mentioning another company. Merry Christmas Darroll.

How about we make a deal? I won't mention another company again if you tell that adopted-out male relative of yours that he is your relative and who his mom is?
                        I will join you on making that deal with Darroll! We all have the right to know where we came from.

Comment

Originally posted by VelvetVellocet View Post
                          I know it means that nobody with your genome has tested to match...

What would a family finder test tell me? I'm thinking about taking the family finder test - is that more autosomal? What will family finder tell me that an FGS can't?

Anything I don't know already or new things?
                          If it is a mtDNA FGS test then any relative matches are only related to your maternal line. Family Finder gives you relative matches from BOTH your mother and father's line. Family Finder will tell you much more! I have only 1 mtDNA FGS match, compared to 31 Family Finder matches. My mtDNA FGS match also did the Family Finder test, and she and I did not come up a match on Family Finder, though we do have other matches in common.

With your FF results, you can also upload your results to GEDmatch which is a great tool. With the FF test, you also frequently get surname lists, and sometimes a GEDCOM.

I have not had one new HVR1, HVR2 or mtDNA FGS match in almost a year.

Judy
                          Last edited by nolnacsj; 17 December 2010, 10:40 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by nolnacsj View Post
                            I will join you on making that deal with Darroll! We all have the right to know where we came from.
                            Not when you are dealing with some arrogant researcher.
                            I'll paraphrase it again:
                            How come your female side matches my MTDNA? (no Please, no thank you, like I did something)
                            I told him that I would look at the tree.
                            I got another e-mail from him stating that we would figure it out when he had time. It should give him a real challenge, Same hometown, born in the same hospital, rare surname, etc.
                            I know why and if I tell that nut, maybe I can have a pink coffin. I wouldn't tell him even if he was nice. This is starting to be like the caliber of people that do genealogy.
                            One more thing: If you advertise another testing facility on this website,
                            you won't have to pay. The webmaster is nice.
                            Talk about uncouth behavior.
                            Try that on my mens hangout and you will find yourself banned. This manner rant was free.

Comment

DNA testing companies

darroll,

You keep beating that dead horse.

People talk about 23andMe, Ancestry.com, deCODEme, EthnoAncestry and a host of other companies.

Why?

Because the search is best by taking advantage of every avenue.

Family Tree DNA is also discussed on the message boards of those companies.

Please, it's time to bury the old dead horse.

Comment

Working...
                              X