Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will uploading a new GEDCOM file overwrite my surname information?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will uploading a new GEDCOM file overwrite my surname information?

Awhile ago I uploaded my GEDCOM, and then used the feature to generate my surname list from that GEDCOM file. Since then I've looked up and filled in the country of origin for each surname (where known). But that GEDCOM is now out of date, as I've filled in a lot on the family tree since then. Can someone reassure me that if I upload a new GEDCOM, and then generate another surname list, that it won't overwrite what's already there?

Thanks so much - this forum is such a great resource!!

Being bold and reckless, I can now answer my own question: No problem. It didn't overwrite the old data. (Country origins for each surname that I had added are still there).

Interesting - ancestry.com's GEDCOM contained what I would deem to be a mistake. It used an alternative name rather than the preferred name. It jumped out at me cuz it had two generations of women with the same surname - in the 1700s. Unlikely, I thought. Sure enough, it was an alternative name sticking through in the GEDCOM output.

Originally posted by dwight View Post
    Awhile ago I uploaded my GEDCOM, and then used the feature to generate my surname list from that GEDCOM file. Since then I've looked up and filled in the country of origin for each surname (where known). But that GEDCOM is now out of date, as I've filled in a lot on the family tree since then. Can someone reassure me that if I upload a new GEDCOM, and then generate another surname list, that it won't overwrite what's already there?

Thanks so much - this forum is such a great resource!!

Comment

Working...
    X