• Show
Clear All

• boutrosdu93
    replied
    lol on which tv?

Leave a comment:

• darroll
    replied
    I saw the warrior gene on TV tonight and it was very good. FTDNA got a nice plug for doing the testing.
    If you have the warrior gene, stay calm. lol

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    Originally posted by jtel09 View Post
    Here is a link to additional info 3 articles plus regarding the "warrior gene' to be shown tonight & FSU Researcher & Professor K. Beaver
    http://www.fsu.com/News/FSU-professo...raphic-Channel
    Thanks for the info.
    I don't have cable. The PBS channel in my area probably won't have it. And if they were to schedule it, it would probably be preempted and replaced with more Bocelli or Rieu.

Leave a comment:

• jtel09
    replied
    Warrior Gene PBS & FSU

Here is a link to additional info 3 articles plus regarding the "warrior gene' to be shown tonight & FSU Researcher & Professor K. Beaver
    http://www.fsu.com/News/FSU-professo...raphic-Channel

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    My thinking was that the "warrior gene" in women may show up as a tendency to be short-tempered, have ADHD ADD symptoms (attention deficiet/hyperactiviy), mismanage priorities, and have a mean streak that comes out verbally, or in manipulating and lying to people, and basically being evil subtly, or mean to their kids.
    The "warrior gene" in men is expressed in unprovoked extreme physical violence.
    Last edited by rainbow; 12 December 2010, 12:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Daniel72
    replied
    Originally posted by rainbow View Post
    Women who have one or two may express it differently than men. Elizabeth
    This may be the case. I mean it could have a totaly different result.

I recall something about gayness, many, many years ago (and so, maybe it turned to be false by now)

It was about some study found a genetic mutation that may cause men to be gay but women to be nymphomaniacal.

I recall, it was only inheritable over the matrial lineage.

And that it was found after one realised that gay men have a high over average chance to have an gay uncle but no higher chance to have gay people in their direct male lineage than average.

Well, maybe it turned out to be coincidence, since I never ever heard about it after that.

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    I haven't been to the forum for a couple days and didn't see your reply. Thanks for your input. Your opinion mirrors my opinion.
    FTDNA should make the test available to women. I think FTDNA is making it "men only" for marketing reasons. I think it's because men order/take more dna tests. The FTDNA ydna database is bigger than the mtdna database.
    I wouldn't be suprised if both of my grandmothers had at least one, maybe both of their X chromosones affected with Monoamine Oxidase A.
    I think that if a woman has even just one copy it should be paid attention to and studied. Equality in DNA. Women who have one or two may express it differently than men. Or, most men don't pay attention to how women express anger (various ways). This so-called "warrior" gene should be studied more.

Elizabeth
    Originally posted by Kasandra View Post
    Accordiung to FTDNA they won't offer it because it's not known what effect it has on women. THat's horse****. SHouldn't you be allowed to know your odds of giving birth to a hyper angry male?
    Last edited by rainbow; 10 December 2010, 11:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kasandra
    replied
    Accordiung to FTDNA they won't offer it because it's not known what effect it has on women. THat's horse****. SHouldn't you be allowed to know your odds of giving birth to a hyper angry male?
    Last edited by Darren; 9 December 2010, 10:20 PM. Reason: Inappropriate language

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    That means it is possible. Rare, but possible. There are females who are more easily aggravated than some males.

I think "warrior" is a misnomer and the advertisement is misleading. Of course lots of men want to be "warriors" and would take the test that would label them warriors.

Who knows, maybe there are other similar genes, not yet discovered.

Leave a comment:

• Darren
    replied
    This is an X-Linked recessive gene. Meaning women are far less likely (I would guess somewhere approaching zero percent probability) to inherit two mutated copies of the gene. A woman has two X-chromosomes and if one has the warrior gene on it then the other is most likely normal, so the warrior gene will not be expressed as it is over written by the normal copy. In men this will appear if they inherit the mutated X chromosome since they receive the Y-chromosome from the father and not another X chromosome that could possibly over write the warrior gene. Hope this helps. You can find a wikipedia page on X-linked inheritance here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-linked_recessive

-Darren Marin
    Family Tree DNA

Leave a comment:

• Daniel72
    replied
    Hmm.

I googled more on this so called "warrior gene" and found that its connected to:

- criminal behavior
    - preference to use physical violence to solve problems
    - becoming unusual agressive when provocated
    - beeing more likely to drink and smoke a lot
    - beeing addicted to risk and danger

And that the population, this seems to be most common are the Maori:

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Page...ri-warrior.jpg

Who seem to possess it in 60% of all cases.

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    Monoamine Oxidase A

Originally posted by rucksack View Post
    This is regarding the X chromosome, and only applies to men.

Therefore, only mother's pass this warrior gene onto their sons.

Mother's will get that chance to pass down one of her two X chromosomes to her sons.
    When I looked at the www.warriorgene.com webpage the other day I read that it is a genetic test for men only, so I assumed it was probably a SNP on the Y chromosone (YDNA).
    But you say it is from the X chromosome. Men and women have X, so why is the test only for men? Can women be tested too?
    Last edited by rainbow; 7 December 2010, 03:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• darroll
    replied
    When your country asks for men to go in the armed forces,
    The good ones go, evil or not.

Leave a comment:

• Daniel72
    replied
    Thats pretty strange.

So its based on pure random. (it does not increase the chance to be spread by increasing the "sexyness" of its bearer.)

But is pretty useless and randomly spread.

PS:
    I also wonder if there is anything behind it.

I mean:
    23andMe claims I possess the genes to feel pain less intense than normal but in reality I am a Sissi if it comes to pain. ;-)

My risc to have "psoriasis" is 60% of what is population average but.... I suffer from psoriasis.
    Last edited by Daniel72; 6 December 2010, 06:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rucksack
    replied
    This is regarding the X chromosome, and only applies to men.

Therefore, only mother's pass this warrior gene onto their sons.

Mother's will get that chance to pass down one of her two X chromosomes to her sons.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X