Appalachians from the Southern U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appalachians from the Southern U.S.

Greetings, I'm working on writing a bit of a family history, and this got me thinking about the origins of others from the Southern Appalachians (in particular the Cohee group, with a secondary interest in other groups from the region like Melungeons), I am wanting to write a piece dealing with the genetic diversity in the region, and I'm curious if anyone here from the Appalachians wants to disclose their DNA results? You will be kept anonymous in the compilation, this is not an analysis on my part like what Eurogenes or McDonald does, but a compilation project where I gather the results together so I can get an accurate picture of the genetics of a certain region.

I am from North Georgia. Not really lots of mountains like tennesee and North Carolina but some. Nearly everything I have been able to find out about all my family tree lines come from North and South Carolina and migrated here over the last 300 years. I only took the Y37 marker test and it came back that my "predicted haplogroup" was I2b1

Comment

Originally posted by smith1 View Post
      I am from North Georgia. Not really lots of mountains like tennesee and North Carolina but some. Nearly everything I have been able to find out about all my family tree lines come from North and South Carolina and migrated here over the last 300 years. I only took the Y37 marker test and it came back that my "predicted haplogroup" was I2b1
      Very cool, the Appalachians go through North Georgia, and North Alabama even. Thanks for the info!

Comment

The earliest I can trace my mtdna line is to the Piedmont area of Virginia (late 1700s Orange County, Virginia) and gradually moved south to the Piedmont area of North Carolina. My mtdna is H1c.
        I may have distant relatives in Surry County, North Carolina. That county has the Appalachians running thru it. The husband of my earliest known mtdna ancestor remarried and moved to Surry County, NC.
        Last edited by rainbow; 21 November 2010, 12:25 PM.

Comment

My family settled in Southwest Virginia in the early 1790's. I am I1.

Comment

Working...
          X