Predict Haplogroup prior to results??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predict Haplogroup prior to results??

Has anyone predicted their haplogroup here, and then once results came back, they got a totally unexpected haplogroup?

Originally posted by Taz85 View Post
    Has anyone predicted their haplogroup here, and then once results came back, they got a totally unexpected haplogroup?
    I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting for my mtDNA haplogroup--perhaps H or T or K. (My maternal lineage is English.) When my results came back, they were H2a1. Okay for the H--that's the most common haplogroup in Europe--but the H2a1 is mostly Eastern European, allegedly rare in the West. My matches trace their maternal lineages to Finland, Denmark, Lithuania, Germany, Russia... This really did surprise me, as there has never been any hint of Eastern European origins in my mother's family.

I am not the only person of English origin who is H2a1--there are several others. I'm thinking that the Eastern European connection must be very, very old--hundreds or even thousands of years.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhighfield View Post
      I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting for my mtDNA haplogroup--perhaps H or T or K. (My maternal lineage is English.) When my results came back, they were H2a1. Okay for the H--that's the most common haplogroup in Europe--but the H2a1 is mostly Eastern European, allegedly rare in the West. My matches trace their maternal lineages to Finland, Denmark, Lithuania, Germany, Russia... This really did surprise me, as there has never been any hint of Eastern European origins in my mother's family.

I am not the only person of English origin who is H2a1--there are several others. I'm thinking that the Eastern European connection must be very, very old--hundreds or even thousands of years.
      Interesting, I sure hope I'm not suprized. To my knowledge my fathers family is from southern italy. I'd be pretty shocked If I end up with a haplogroup thats no where near that area.

Comment

You will be surprised.

Originally posted by Taz85 View Post
        Interesting, I sure hope I'm not suprized. To my knowledge my fathers family is from southern italy. I'd be pretty shocked If I end up with a haplogroup thats no where near that area.

Many of the YDNA Hg are represented throughout Italy, Magna Graecia including Sicily. If I were you, I would be clamoring for the results as it could be many things such as: R1b, R1a, I1,J1,J2,E1b among the possibilities. I am excited for you!!

Comment

Now pay the $15.00 to National Geographic and they will tell you where your family came from.

Comment

Originally posted by darroll View Post
            Now pay the $15.00 to National Geographic and they will tell you where your family came from.

Can't wait for my results from FTDNA.

Comment

Working...
            X