Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L21 - no significant matches - need advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L21 - no significant matches - need advice.

I'm new to this and trying to teach myself but it's more complicated than I thought!. Requested and now received deep-clade results (L21) and joined appropriate groups - but still none the wiser. Not getting any significant matches that will help to resolve family ancestry issue. Do I need more tests??. One thing I note is that value at DYS460 = 8 . Although it has a normal range of 7-12, a value of 8 would be only a tiny % of the population within this group and I only found one other candidate with the same value in all the relevant groups I have joined. Is this significant? Would appreciate some learned input.

regards

Peter Kenny
    R1b1b2a1b5 P312+ L23+ L21+ U152- U106- SRY2627- P66- M65- M37- M222- M160- M153- M126- L4- L20- L2- L1-

Kit No. 184691
    YSearch HYYYJ

What test have you ordered other than the deep clade test? Y-DNA12, Y-DNA25, Y-DNA37 or Y-DNA67.

Between my provider the the distorted words I can't see your Ysearch results.

Comment

Share your pain...

Originally posted by Sravrannies1 View Post
      I'm new to this and trying to teach myself but it's more complicated than I thought!. Requested and now received deep-clade results (L21) and joined appropriate groups - but still none the wiser. Not getting any significant matches that will help to resolve family ancestry issue. Do I need more tests??. One thing I note is that value at DYS460 = 8 . Although it has a normal range of 7-12, a value of 8 would be only a tiny % of the population within this group and I only found one other candidate with the same value in all the relevant groups I have joined. Is this significant? Would appreciate some learned input.

regards

Peter Kenny
      R1b1b2a1b5 P312+ L23+ L21+ U152- U106- SRY2627- P66- M65- M37- M222- M160- M153- M126- L4- L20- L2- L1-

Kit No. 184691
      YSearch HYYYJ
      I feel as though I am the King of no close matches! I don't even match my own brother (one mismatch at 24)! The non-scientific explanation that used to be prevalent is that mutations happen. I think that this is partially correct. This indeed is an evolving science with a very small database to cull information from. So my new mantra has become, patience, patience, patience.

Comment

Sravrannies,

If it makes you feel any better, I think your experience may be that of the majority of DNA genealogy customers. Like Zaru whom I quote below, I'm 5+ years on and nothing to show for it. It's just usually the case that people stop posting or looking at their results after the first year or so of getting no meaningful results.

But, for kicks, I sometimes create special Y Search profiles based on a boiled-down 'experimental' haplotype. Maybe you'll find something interesting? Could be fun for a lark, though.

At the following link I describe the process and rationale of putting one of these 'experimental' haplotypes together.

http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...13&postcount=4

Have fun!

P.S. You have tested at least 67 markers, right? Seriously, there's not much point to the game unless you go to the 67-marker point--too much variability on the Y chromosome. You could be missing potential matches.

Originally posted by Zaru View Post
        I feel as though I am the King of no close matches! I don't even match my own brother (one mismatch at 24)! The non-scientific explanation that used to be prevalent is that mutations happen. I think that this is partially correct. This indeed is an evolving science with a very small database to cull information from. So my new mantra has become, patience, patience, patience.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaru View Post
          This isn't "the non-scientific explanation." Mutation do happen. If they didn't we would all have the same Y-DNA. When a mutation does occur the father and the son don't match therefore it is very possible that brothers won't match.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
            This isn't "the non-scientific explanation." Mutation do happen. If they didn't we would all have the same Y-DNA. When a mutation does occur the father and the son don't match therefore it is very possible that brothers won't match.
            Jim-

Of course mutations happen but I am not convinced that the TMRCA algorithm is accurate. It's the best tool available but as in its current form it misses the mark (no pun intended). For example, my brother and I are a GD of 1 at 25 markers, according to the calculator we may share a common ancestor within the past 20 generations. Now I know that this is not correct, but say that an exact match appears for me at 25, where would that leave me?

I don't think we know (please correct me if I am wrong) how often a mutation can occur. If I share the same immigrant ancestor from 1604, could a mutation occur within several different lines of uncles?

Stevo made a wonderful cluster of Colonial Americans who can trace their generations back in some instances, 400 years, and in other instances one generation. Could a mutation not have occurred within a 400 year time frame? Is it limited to one locus or can they occur in multiple loci? I really do not have the answer for that.

Comment

Working...
            X