Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you convince distant relatives to submit DNA samples?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you convince distant relatives to submit DNA samples?

Hi, how did you convince distant relatives to submit DNA samples?
    I am in a dilemma and need advice.

Pay for their test. Tell them they will remain anonymous & no health issues revealed in test.

Comment

Originally posted by Peacock100 View Post
      Pay for their test. Tell them they will remain anonymous & no health issues revealed in test.
      Exactly - it's worked every time - and I have results for two paternal ggggf's that I can't fit into my signature. By the way, in helping another who's grandfather was an adoptee, I accidentally found the probable results of a maternal ggggf in one of the projects.
      Last edited by vinnie; 7 September 2010, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Be friends with them.
        Don't just pop in when you want something.

Comment

Ditto. Make it as painless as possible for them. Always pay for their test.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Thanks everyone. Paying for their tests isn't a problem. The issue is their willingness. I know I need to respect their wishes, but I wondered if any of you had run into this sort of problem and if so how did you convince your cousins etc to take the test?
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Hando View Post
              Thanks everyone. Paying for their tests isn't a problem. The issue is their willingness. I know I need to respect their wishes, but I wondered if any of you had run into this sort of problem and if so how did you convince your cousins etc to take the test?
              Thanks
              I have a similar situation. I would like my 80 yr old 1st cuz once removed to take a yDNA and FF test (both preferably). I can't afford to pay for him and he is quite well off.
              My strategy is I'm feeding him genealogical information, including the fact that I've found a cousin on FF who probably is a close relative to him too.

I'm hoping this will whet his appetite for finding out about his Grandfather's family. I've told him he's the missing link being he's the last surviving member of the extended family carrying the yDNA that I'm interesting in following up. My 'close and immediate' match on FF runs a surname project that includes my cousin's surname. He's very keen for my cousin to take a DNA test too. I'm very keen as it could shed light on my great grandfather's origins.

Good luck with making the approach. It may help if you tell your relative that his involvement is important in terms of understanding/preserving the family genealogy.

Comment

Does the project you're referring to have any donations available for you to use? Have you asked your relative if he'd be interested? Perhaps splitting it with him? I had one distant cousin who offered to pay because he was so interested - and generous. Or you could start with the basic yDNA test through National Geographic's Genographic Project which is the cheapest way to start unless FTDNA has another sale. At least you'd have his sample on file for future testing (after transferring the results to FTDNA), and be assured of having basic family info for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
                  Or you could start with the basic yDNA test through National Geographic's Genographic Project which is the cheapest way to start unless FTDNA has another sale.
                  I thought a Y-DNA12 kit ordered through a surname project cost the same as a 12 marker kit ordered through the National Geographic's Genographic Project. The project price is $99 + P&H.

And from the National Geographic's Genographic Project, "The Participation Kit costs U.S. $99.95 (plus shipping and handling and tax if applicable)."

If you are going to start with only 12 markers the National Geographic's Genographic Project is a good place to start because of the additional information they provide and then you can have your kit moved to FDNA for free.

Comment

Working...
                  X