Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any N-haplogroupers here?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any N-haplogroupers here?

    Hi. I'm very new to both yDNA testing and pursuing genealogical research. My patrilineal great-grandfather reported that he was born in Denmark, and he used my surname, Holmes, when he enlisted in the Civil War. We don't know for certain what his name was in Denmark, nor do we have any information on his parents, except that he said they were both born in Denmark (though my parents did do considerable research in Salt Lake City and in Copenhagen back in the 70s).

    So my yDNA identifies as an "N" haplogroup. I'm waiting for my 25/37-point results (Batch 374, due o/a October 1st). I have 4 12-point perfect matches, all named Fletcher. There are no known Fletchers in my family tree - no surprise. The interesting part is that the Fletchers apparently trace their ancestors to England, not Scandinavia. I realize a 12-point match could have a common recent ancestor way back in time, prior to early migrations that connected Scandinavia and what is now the UK.

    I see in the Holmes Project there are no "N" group members. And I see that these 4 Fletchers are the only known "N" members of the Fletcher group. So we seem to be outliers all around! Knowing there is "safety in numbers" I'm curious if there are any "N"s on this forum?

  • #2
    I know that N is rare among western Europeans and is indicative of Finno-Ugric (ie, Uralic or Ruranian ancestry Hungary, Estonia, Finland, etc.)

    Timothy Peterman

    Comment


    • #3
      Haplogroup N and its subgroups are indeed quite rare (except from in the Baltic countries, Finland and Russia). I belong to N1b , however my paternal line seems to be Russian.

      Have you checked your "My matches" list in the "Haplotree" section? That might give an idea of your distant ancestors origins.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks - I hadn't noticed that page/tab before. My "predicted" group is N*. The 1-step mutations listed on the "My matches" page are Poland, Norway, Siberia - but none of them is "N", they are "N1" and "N1c1".

        Clearly, we need more people to get tested!

        Originally posted by sgc2009 View Post
        Haplogroup N and its subgroups are indeed quite rare (except from in the Baltic countries, Finland and Russia). I belong to N1b , however my paternal line seems to be Russian.

        Have you checked your "My matches" list in the "Haplotree" section? That might give an idea of your distant ancestors origins.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dwight View Post
          Thanks - I hadn't noticed that page/tab before. My "predicted" group is N*. The 1-step mutations listed on the "My matches" page are Poland, Norway, Siberia - but none of them is "N", they are "N1" and "N1c1".

          Clearly, we need more people to get tested!
          I would think you are most likely N1c1, though you can't be sure until you do the SNP test. Interesting that your 1 step mutations are from that varying locations.

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, hopefully I'll have the Deep Clade-N(DCLADE-N) results by the end of the month...

            Originally posted by sgc2009 View Post
            I would think you are most likely N1c1, though you can't be sure until you do the SNP test. Interesting that your 1 step mutations are from that varying locations.

            Comment

            Working...
            X