Genback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genback

I not excited about having my DNA all over but I would like to find a match one day. So what are the pluses and minuses of using Genbanck and has anyone had any luck or problems? Thanks

I've used it to see where my closest matches are located. Unfortunately, I'm the ONLY F1a4 on Genbank, MitoSearch, Genebase, etc. Closest at Genebank is 13 mismatches from me (F1a1b).

Since this is a research database, I'm thrilled at the idea of being a guinea pig for scientific studies.

Comment

I submitted my FGS data to GenBank after it was suggested that that my results indicated new information about I3 -- a fairly rare subclade. That was subsequently confirmed, so that's my small bit for science.

Comment

... and I think it's always worth repeating the GenBank is not designed to be a family finder. It is not even limited to submissions from Homo Sapiens. It's a scientific research resource that reportedly receive DNA sequences produced in laboratories throughout the world from more than 100,000 distinct organisms.

Comment

Thanks, what I was hoping for is to find a Y match that might not be at Ancestry or FTDNA. I have tested at both but would like to find more if I can with out sending in more DNA or money too more labs. So could there be a chance that I'll find a match by using GenBank or those other site mentioned? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
            Thanks, what I was hoping for is to find a Y match that might not be at Ancestry or FTDNA. I have tested at both but would like to find more if I can with out sending in more DNA or money too more labs. So could there be a chance that I'll find a match by using GenBank or those other site mentioned? Thanks
            Much of the data is from scientific studies submitted by laboratories independent of FTDNA. You may find a new match, but I don't believe there is a way to contact that person... nor will you know a name to contact.

You can actually search their database using the data in the FASTA file as is (it is available for download by clicking the link, "Print Certificate/Report/Data") without submitting your actual results to GenBank, if you are not interested in making your data public.

Comment

Working...
            X