Quaker ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quaker ????

Will someone who REALLY knows what this is give us a defenition? I have heard lots of answers there is no way they are all correct.

Perhaps if you clarified your question.

Comment

Originally posted by smith1 View Post
      Will someone who REALLY knows what this is give us a defenition? I have heard lots of answers there is no way they are all correct.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religio...ety_of_Friends

Comment

West New Jersey had many Quakers. The Quakers were very admirable, except for being extreme pacifists. A Quaker was not allowed to defend themselves or their home. They were taught to turn the other cheek. They were easy pickings for theives and violent people. If a Quaker got fed up with constantly being robbed and armed himself to protect him and his family from more break-in burglars, the Quaker community would kick him out. Most people know that Quakers refused to "bear arms" and fight, but most don't know that that extended to self-defense, or a complete lack of self-defense.

Some ex-Quakers switched to Reformed Dutch (I am descended from some) or other communities, etc.
        Last edited by rainbow; 23 August 2010, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Definition of "Quaker"

So-called "Quakers" are members of the Society of Friends and within the Society of Friends there are different observations, or sects. As to the sects, these can be explored on-line. Not going to try to describe the Quaker faith here. Please, if you are intersted, just look it up. Many of my close family are Quakers and of any religion, if I were going to "join", I

Comment

Quaker

Originally posted by Peacock100 View Post
            So-called "Quakers" are members of the Society of Friends and within the Society of Friends there are different observations, or sects. As to the sects, these can be explored on-line. Not going to try to describe the Quaker faith here. Please, if you are intersted, just look it up. Many of my close family are Quakers and of any religion, if I were going to "join", I
            I am not sure I fully understand the other poster's question, but your answer (though cut off) was appropriate. I am a Quaker.

Comment

Working...
            X