Any ideas of origin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dwight View Post
    I'm not an adoptee, but we did have a surname change by my ggf, with no trail, paper or otherwise through that brick wall (as yet).

I just want to echo the "have to hurry" suggestion! I'm sitting here wishing to hell I'd been doing this when my parents were still alive. Not the DNA testing, obviously, as that was not even a possibility yet, but the family research. In the last week I've learned, via the 1910 Census, that my Dad apparently had a first cousin the same age as him, in the same town - and none of us remember ever hearing about her. Her mother was then the recent, young widow of my dad's uncle. I suspect she probably remarried or for other reasons left town and left our family behind, taking her daughter with her, possibly when my Dad was still very young. But with this paper trail evidence, it's certainly possible that old memories might have been rekindled and we might have learned something more from my dad about his cousin than we do now. As it is, I have nothing to go on for seeking out any of her kids. (Can't find her or her mom in the 1920 or 1930 Census or anywhere else as yet) Disappointing, as we have never had any cousins on my Dad's side of the family, and now to know we might have some...
    After my paternal grandfather passed in 1993 it hit me. Why was he so dark complected and I was such a whitey? It was then I started asking my grandmother about him. Per story he was Cherokee descent (how many times have we all heard that one). I found his father, my gg via census but he was listed as white and not on the rolls. All stories my grandmother told of him back in the early 90's came out true per census records including him hiding his race. She told me he would never admit it. But there are still other things I wish I had asked my grandfather about his dad. Now I am at a brick wall and it drives me crazy. Why didnt I ask this or that lol. The list goes on.

I have had some recent paper trail breakthroughs but it would be nice if more of my connections were into dna. I would like to jump out of the USA and see the last place my line was from. I would be good with that info. Anything beyond that would be great too but I would be fine with that initial leap.

Best of luck to you
    Fingers crossed

Comment

If your yDNA ancestor was of Cherokee descent it wasn't on your direct paternal line -- maybe Polish, German, Czech, or Hungarian, and English is also possible, but not Cherokee.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
        If your yDNA ancestor was of Cherokee descent it wasn't on your direct paternal line -- maybe Polish, German, Czech, or Hungarian, and English is also possible, but not Cherokee.
        Interesting. Are you basing this on my haplogroup? Please explain.

Comment

This is based on both your haplogroup and your closest matches. (R1a among men with documented direct male-line Native American ancestry has never been found; Q1a3a is common among most Native American peoples, while C3b is fairly common among the Dene family.)

Besides Ysearch, I also did a quick look for you at smgf.org and the forensic database yhrd.org.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellworx View Post
            Its interesting that I get the R1a Polish on the haplo test yet I dont match anyone on the polish dna project. I could be wrong but it seems I am not far off on some scottish matches on the scottish dna project. I mean I find closer matches than other projects. I joined every project that would allow me to with my name "Bell". Btw your haplo test is pretty wild!
            yeah as I said take it with a grain of salt. I hear you though with your challenges with getting anyone to respond. i think some times people have their own fantasy of who they think they're related to and when they get a request from someone that doesn't fit that mental model, they ignore it. :-)

I myself have had similar challenges. In my case people did not want to accept that somehow somewhere we shared a haplogroup O "Asian" grandpapa, that's my theory anyways. I guess, the key thing to remember about DNA mapping is that what you are today may not necessarily be an indicator of who your ancestors were.

Anyhoo, I wish you the best of luck!

Comment

Here are my results:

Haplogroups and probabilities are as follows:R1b-S29-Frisian2 =>38% R1b-S28 =>23% R1b =>14% R1b-Irish/Continental =>7% R1b-E.Europe =>6% R1b-North/South 1 =>4% R1b-North/South 2 =>3% R1b-S21* =>2% R1b-Frisian =>1%

This is interesting to me because it has remained consistent with what others have said about my results. My ancestral origins page also lists Belgium as my highest concentration of matches (a total of 0.8%- not significant at all) I am beginning to think that the rocks that I have been trying to look under were not cold enough, I should be looking further north perhaps.

What is the difference between Frisian2 and Frisian?

Comment

Originally posted by Zaru View Post
                Here are my results:

Haplogroups and probabilities are as follows:R1b-S29-Frisian2 =>38% R1b-S28 =>23% R1b =>14% R1b-Irish/Continental =>7% R1b-E.Europe =>6% R1b-North/South 1 =>4% R1b-North/South 2 =>3% R1b-S21* =>2% R1b-Frisian =>1%

This is interesting to me because it has remained consistent with what others have said about my results. My ancestral origins page also lists Belgium as my highest concentration of matches (a total of 0.8%- not significant at all) I am beginning to think that the rocks that I have been trying to look under were not cold enough, I should be looking further north perhaps.

What is the difference between Frisian2 and Frisian?
                the difference is "1"
                I am just kiddin, dunno . I'll let those in the know answer u. I think I may started the hijack of this thread. I'll start a haplotest one.

Comment

Working...
                X