Any ideas of origin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas of origin

It would be cool to hear anyone's ideas on my paternal origins. I know many people here understand this alot more than me. On ysearch and ftdna I am kind of all over the place. I check frequently for updates but get the same info over and over. I don't understand the significance of my matches since I don't have any real close ones. Very confusing! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ysearch:RSXGW

As always, thank you for any help!

Man, I would like to help, and I tried Ysearch, but you don't have any close matches at all that I could find. Unfortunately, I am not expert enough with R1a1 to see any trends or indicators.

I would suggest you subscribe to the Rootsweb DNA List and check with Doug McDonald and the other R1a1 gurus there:

http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/i...ALOGY-DNA.html

Good hunting!

Comment

Lost

Yea Im confused. I guess it will have to be the waiting game for now. I wish my 67 marker match with a genetic distance of 1 would reply to my emails on FTDNA. But you can't twist everyone's arm lol. I checked out the roots site. Slightly confusing but Ill try there for now.

Thanks Stevo!

Comment

Originally posted by Bellworx View Post
        Yea Im confused. I guess it will have to be the waiting game for now. I wish my 67 marker match with a genetic distance of 1 would reply to my emails on FTDNA. But you can't twist everyone's arm lol. I checked out the roots site. Slightly confusing but Ill try there for now.

Thanks Stevo!
        Don't feel alone. I was and still am very confused with dna and ancestry. I thought it was just me and now I am finding out that LOTS of people that look into this are just as confused as us.

Comment

Yea Im confused. I guess it will have to be the waiting game for now. I wish my 67 marker match with a genetic distance of 1 would reply to my emails on FTDNA.
          Very frustrating, as GD of 1 over 67 is remarkable.

I gather that some people have broken through by asking FTDNA to contact the other party and let them know that a potential relative is trying to contact them, so you could perhaps try that approach.

Comment

Match

I went that route when I realized he wasnt responding. Didnt work. I found him on myspace and messaged him. Only one reply, verified it was him and that was it. He didnt respond again. He was my 1 and only 67 match lol. Sux...

Comment

It's a mystery why some people get tested -- especially to 67 markers which ordinarily would indicate a serious searcher. Perhaps he was simply trying to confirm his surname.

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
                It's a mystery why some people get tested -- especially to 67 markers which ordinarily would indicate a serious searcher. Perhaps he was simply trying to confirm his surname.
                Some guys get tested, don't like the results, and then clam up about them. Perhaps they don't match the others with their surname in the family project or they expected to belong to one haplogroup and wound up belonging to another.

Comment

world haplo

I plugged your DYS values on http://members.bex.net/jtcullen515/HaploTest.htm and you come up:
                  Run 1: R1A-Polish =56% and R1A=43%
                  Run 2: R1a-Polish =>58% R1a =>39% R1a-Norse =>2%
                  Run 3: R1a =>55% R1a-Polish =>42% R1a-Jewish =>3%

Obviously take it with a grain of salt as these are just probabilities. and I know folks, Y-Chromosome is not a measure of admixture so plz no haters this is just for fun.

Mine is even worse:
                  Run1: O =>39% G , G5 =>22% Q-M242-Group2 =>9% I-P37.2 =>8% G , G2 =>5% N-Germanic =>5% R1b-IrishIII =>4% I-M253 =>3% H =>1% F =>1% N3a1-Finn =>1%
                  Run2: O =>43% G , G5 =>18% Q-M242-Group2 =>10% R1b-IrishIII =>7% I-P37.2 =>6% N3a1-Finn =>4% N-Germanic =>4% G , G2 =>3% I-M253 =>3%
                  Run3: O =>38% G , G5 =>20% Q-M242-Group2 =>16% G , G2 =>6% I-P37.2 =>5% H =>4% R1b-IrishIII =>4% I-M253 =>3% F =>1% N-Germanic =>1%

Comment

I went that route when I realized he wasnt responding. Didnt work. I found him on myspace and messaged him. Only one reply, verified it was him and that was it. He didnt respond again. He was my 1 and only 67 match lol. Sux...
                    Go through his myspace and look for relatives. Look through his messages. Does anyone refer to him as being a relative? Does anyone have the same last name? Contact his relatives through Myspace. If there are no relatives you can find, start contacting his friends. Be discrete, but be persistent.

Look through his myspace pictures, try to find some relation there.

Take his myspace name, and Google it. See if you get any hits. Many people use the same screen name for their email, myspace, facebook, etc.

Also look at your matches at other markers. If you have an exact match at 25, 37, etc, and that person only tested 25 or 37 markers, that is also a good chance of a relationship. Try to get in touch with those people as well.

Comment

See if he has a facebook account. If he does, see if his friends are listed. Click on show all friends. Then search using his surname(faster than scrolling through all the friends). Any that show up will likely be relatives. Then you can try to contact them. I've done this.

Comment

I have went all of these routes so far other than contacting his friends. I have emailed him 2 more times and he responded with "Ill help with any info I have" and that was it. I emailed again and he won't respond. It's like I am haggling the guy. What gives ya know? Also, I looked up his last name "Little" on the Little surname scottish clan page. He is listed but does not match anyone close in his surname project. Just like I do not match any other "Bell's" in my scottish clan bell surname project. Most bell's are R1b etc. I'm R1a1 or R1a1a. Maybe my line came from a viking that married into the Bell's and took on the bell surname while in the brittish isles or ?. Who knows

I might email him from time to time but it's kind of a waste of energy. I have no 25, or 37 marker matches and just a couple 12 with GD of 1 and we all know 12markers means nothing in the big picture.

All I can hope for is new snp's that come out or new matches. Until then, I guess I am stuck. I do appreciate everyone's ideas and help!

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon View Post
                          I plugged your DYS values on http://members.bex.net/jtcullen515/HaploTest.htm and you come up:
                          Run 1: R1A-Polish =56% and R1A=43%
                          Run 2: R1a-Polish =>58% R1a =>39% R1a-Norse =>2%
                          Run 3: R1a =>55% R1a-Polish =>42% R1a-Jewish =>3%

Obviously take it with a grain of salt as these are just probabilities. and I know folks, Y-Chromosome is not a measure of admixture so plz no haters this is just for fun.

Mine is even worse:
                          Run1: O =>39% G , G5 =>22% Q-M242-Group2 =>9% I-P37.2 =>8% G , G2 =>5% N-Germanic =>5% R1b-IrishIII =>4% I-M253 =>3% H =>1% F =>1% N3a1-Finn =>1%
                          Run2: O =>43% G , G5 =>18% Q-M242-Group2 =>10% R1b-IrishIII =>7% I-P37.2 =>6% N3a1-Finn =>4% N-Germanic =>4% G , G2 =>3% I-M253 =>3%
                          Run3: O =>38% G , G5 =>20% Q-M242-Group2 =>16% G , G2 =>6% I-P37.2 =>5% H =>4% R1b-IrishIII =>4% I-M253 =>3% F =>1% N-Germanic =>1%

Its interesting that I get the R1a Polish on the haplo test yet I dont match anyone on the polish dna project. I could be wrong but it seems I am not far off on some scottish matches on the scottish dna project. I mean I find closer matches than other projects. I joined every project that would allow me to with my name "Bell". Btw your haplo test is pretty wild!

Comment

I have went all of these routes so far other than contacting his friends. I have emailed him 2 more times and he responded with "Ill help with any info I have" and that was it. I emailed again and he won't respond. It's like I am haggling the guy. What gives ya know? Also, I looked up his last name "Little" on the Little surname scottish clan page. He is listed but does not match anyone close in his surname project. Just like I do not match any other "Bell's" in my scottish clan bell surname project. Most bell's are R1b etc. I'm R1a1 or R1a1a. Maybe my line came from a viking that married into the Bell's and took on the bell surname while in the brittish isles or ?. Who knows

I might email him from time to time but it's kind of a waste of energy. I have no 25, or 37 marker matches and just a couple 12 with GD of 1 and we all know 12markers means nothing in the big picture.

All I can hope for is new snp's that come out or new matches. Until then, I guess I am stuck. I do appreciate everyone's ideas and help!
                            I have emailed a dozen people.
                            - One called me, because I left my phone, and he said the story was so far-fetched it sounded like a scam (i.e. "we're a match on ...com, I think we may be related..."). I then jokingly said to him, yes, I'm actually from Nigeria and I don't need money, but I would like to give you money, 1 million pounds, I only need $300 to open the account, lol.
                            - I found another guy's phone and called him. He said he was in the middle of moving. He was also an older fellow, and hadn't checked his email in a while. He said he would contact me when he finished moving.
                            - Some people's contact email does not work anymore.
                            - One woman was on vacation, said she has poor internet access, and will contact me later.
                            - One couple answered my message within hours, but said they had just got their dna results and did not understand what they meant.
                            - I discussed situation with a friend, she said to be honest she has little interest in distant cousins.
                            - One guy had already died since doing the test.
                            So these people all have their own lives, the adoption process is traumatic for us, but for them it is just not that important. The generation gap is also quite large. The guy who called me back was a younger guy. Understanding the technology is not easy. And being approached by a long-lost relative always makes people suspicious of scams.
                            Also, most of these people are looking to verify their historical roots, maybe it is just awkward and surprising to be presented with an unknown relative, since that is going to challenge their understanding of their ancestry, when their purpose is to verify.
                            I think though in each family there are people who set themselves up as the patriarchs/matriarchs, as the keepers of the genealogy, and most other people in the clan are going to defer to these individuals. Maybe it is best to find those individuals, even if they are a more distant relation.

But you have to hurry! Amongst non-adoptees, it is usually old people who test! They are getting older and want to leave a legacy that is why many test. So don't wait, push hard now while people are still alive.
                            Ah, the joys of belonging to a family...
                            Last edited by Kit-189387; 18 October 2010, 07:50 AM.

Comment

I'm not an adoptee, but we did have a surname change by my ggf, with no trail, paper or otherwise through that brick wall (as yet).

I just want to echo the "have to hurry" suggestion! I'm sitting here wishing to hell I'd been doing this when my parents were still alive. Not the DNA testing, obviously, as that was not even a possibility yet, but the family research. In the last week I've learned, via the 1910 Census, that my Dad apparently had a first cousin the same age as him, in the same town - and none of us remember ever hearing about her. Her mother was then the recent, young widow of my dad's uncle. I suspect she probably remarried or for other reasons left town and left our family behind, taking her daughter with her, possibly when my Dad was still very young. But with this paper trail evidence, it's certainly possible that old memories might have been rekindled and we might have learned something more from my dad about his cousin than we do now. As it is, I have nothing to go on for seeking out any of her kids. (Can't find her or her mom in the 1920 or 1930 Census or anywhere else as yet) Disappointing, as we have never had any cousins on my Dad's side of the family, and now to know we might have some...
                              Originally posted by Kit-189387 View Post
                              But you have to hurry! Amongst non-adoptees, it is usually old people who test! They are getting older and want to leave a legacy that is why many test. So don't wait, push hard now while people are still alive.
                              Ah, the joys of belonging to a family...

Comment

Working...
                              X