How to Use Family Finder for Genealogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promethease

I just downloaded Promethease and had it scan my Family Finder results. I got some interesting information about diseases I already have and diseases that close relatives have.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardH View Post
      I have written an easy-to-understand web page describing the use of FTDNA's Family Finder in genealogy. This test is an example of a massive autosomal DNA test.

Please take a look and then add any additional suggestions to this thread.

Family Finder in Genealogy

Regards,
      Richard
      Richard, very good comparison!

One thing, regarding Item # 4 "Supplemental Information" , you can now revise it to include FTDNA FF Population Finder which is now available with the FF test.

Judy

Comment

Originally posted by RichardH View Post
        I have written an easy-to-understand web page describing the use of FTDNA's Family Finder in genealogy. This test is an example of a massive autosomal DNA test.

Please take a look and then add any additional suggestions to this thread.

Family Finder in Genealogy

Regards,
        Richard
        I've traced paper trails to common ancestors for something like 15 people out of 59. I have my own ancestry worked out in full back through my great-great-grandparents, about 90% in the next generation, and then reasonably well past that back to around 1600 or so. That's a natural outgrowth of having early New England / New York ancestry from three grandparents and the same plus Pennsylvania English, Scots, Welsh, and German from the fourth. I've also been researching for over 20 years now, trying to find my immigrants to America.

Anyway, my latest confirmed ancestral couple (you can't tell which person contributed the long DNA block) is from the 1690-1700 period birth-wise. The remaining matches have birthdates from about 1550 through 1650, either just before the migration to America or within a generation or two of it happening.

The Great Migration ancestry links I have supposedly mean that I (along with many Americans) could be related to as many as 100,000,000 Americans within the last 400 years. So it's probably not against the odds that I have been able to turn up as many known relationships as this using DNA as the signal to check a pedigree.

So while I understand that FTDNA is stating conservative probabilities as to what kinds of cousin relationships will be identified by the test, I suspect the test is actually pretty decent at ferreting out more distant relationships for people with extensive common ancestral pools. Interestingly enough, I'm getting matches of about the same strength with some Europeans without American ancestry. If you have a deep pedigree and find a Family Finder matching person with the same, you should look much farther back than FTDNA is suggesting, and you may well find one or more common ancestral couples. This is not the same as knowing that the DNA you share is guaranteed to be from one of that couple, but it may be indicative. I'm hoping that we have enough matches at some point to triangulate in on specific DNA segments as being inherited down specific lines.

Comment

Working...
        X