How to Use Family Finder for Genealogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Use Family Finder for Genealogy

I have written an easy-to-understand web page describing the use of FTDNA's Family Finder in genealogy. This test is an example of a massive autosomal DNA test.

Please take a look and then add any additional suggestions to this thread.

Family Finder in Genealogy

Regards,
    Richard

A Suggestion

Your web site is an excellent explanation of the genealogical use of the Family Finder test. I was also in on the beta test and now have over 50 matches, some genealogy help but no connections yet. I have run into the situation you mention about the number of possible paths from a distant ancestor. Trying to trace forward quickly becomes impossible.

One suggestion, you can take your autosomal results and run them against the files of DNA medical studies at the Promethease web site. I got very interesting information from there.

Comment

Beeswax,

Thanks for the nice review of my web site, DNA Testing Adviser.

Your suggestion about the Promethease tool is an intersting one for medical purposes. But are you sure that could be done with Family Finder data? I thought the medically informative SNLPs were stripped out and not included in the results.

Regards,
      Richard

Comment

FF matches

My problem:
        when I set my tree to show all ancestral related there are 10,624 people
        when set to Ancestors, with 5 generations of descendants, including spouses and parents, there are still 2838 people.

That's a lot of picking and sorting for this "only child" to do!

MJ

Comment

Medical SNPs

Its my understanding FTDNA tried to avoid medical SNPs, but they missed some. Actually some of the ones I got were not serious medical conditions.
          For instance, light-skinned, blue-eyed Caucasian, and ability to taste bitterness.

To use Promethease, you have to download your results using the link on your personal page. That comes out as a gzip file, then use the free program to unzip the data. That gives you a .csv format. Much larger than the gzip one. Then you download the Promethease program and run it against your csv file and that produces a detailed report. Mine came out with 1624 snps. Kinda complicated, but I'm not too smart and managed to get thru it.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeswax View Post
            Its my understanding FTDNA tried to avoid medical SNPs, but they missed some. Actually some of the ones I got were not serious medical conditions.
            For instance, light-skinned, blue-eyed Caucasian, and ability to taste bitterness.

To use Promethease, you have to download your results using the link on your personal page. That comes out as a gzip file, then use the free program to unzip the data. That gives you a .csv format. Much larger than the gzip one. Then you download the Promethease program and run it against your csv file and that produces a detailed report. Mine came out with 1624 snps. Kinda complicated, but I'm not too smart and managed to get thru it.
            What's the name of the free program?

Comment

Unzip Program

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
              What's the name of the free program?
              Actually I don't recall the name of the unzip program. It just came up when I downloaded my results from FTDNA, and I used it only that one time.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeswax View Post
                Actually I don't recall the name of the unzip program. It just came up when I downloaded my results from FTDNA, and I used it only that one time.
                WinZip will handle just about any compressed file format:

http://www.winzip.com/downwz.htm

Comment

DNA and Genealogy

I have tested at FTDNA for the Family Finder Test a where I have about 40 matches and at 23andme where I have 349. I am very happy with both companies. My proplem is that so many of my matches, including close matces of 3rd cousin won't respond to e-mails. Also, it is hard to know how you match others especially at 5th to distant cousin level especially if you are a females. I even have one match one my X chromosome which I can't find how I match with the person. It has been frustrating to me especially when my e-mails are ignored. I am trying to keep track of all my matching surnames to see if a pattern developes. Any other sugestions?
                  SSowards

Comment

I found a mistake

You wright "Count out five generations to your great-great-great grandparents." If you count out five generation from yourself you will reach only your GG grandparents not your GGG Grandparents.

Comment

Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
                      You wright "Count out five generations to your great-great-great grandparents." If you count out five generation from yourself you will reach only your GG grandparents not your GGG Grandparents.
                      You're trying to account for the make-up of your autosomal DNA when you test with Family Finder or a similar test. Don't include yourself in the count of generations, since your genome is the result of the previous generations' recombination of DNA.

1 generation ago - parents
                      2 generations ago - grandparents
                      3 generations ago - great-grandparents
                      4 generations ago - gg-grandparents
                      5 generations ago - ggg-grandparents

Comment

Thank you that was clear and easy to understand.

Comment

If you count the "G"s you get the cousin relationship.

when two people have the same:
                          (g)randparents = 1 g = they are 1st cousins
                          (g)reat (g)randparents = 2 gs = they are 2nd cousins
                          (g)reat (g)reat (g)randparents = 3 gs = they are 3rd cousins

etc.

of course this is assuming we are just talking cousinship, not siblingship or something else.. but I'm sure you know this is just a little mini-reference type of thing.
                          Last edited by mkdexter; 26th July 2010, 11:27 AM.

Comment

And here it is in table format:

http://genealogy.about.com/library/n...nshipchart.htm

Comment

Thanks to all, I do lose track of relationship formula's

Comment

Working...
                              X