67-1Y- DNA marker match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 67-1Y- DNA marker match

I have a 67-1 Y-DNA marker match that the common ancestor appears to be 8 generations back to our 5th great grandfather. My 4th great grandfather and the other person's ancestor were brothers. The brother's daughter had a daughter that had a son that was the other person's great grandfather.

As Y-DNA passes from father to son, does it sound right that we're a 67-1 match with 2 women in the line? We also have the same last name but our family trees appear to connect only as noted above.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this
    Last edited by rond; 3 July 2010, 06:20 PM.

Originally posted by rond View Post
    I have a 67-1 Y-DNA marker match that the common ancestor appears to be 8 generations back to our 5th great grandfather. My 4th great grandfather and the other person's ancestor were brothers. The brother's daughter had a daughter that had a son that was the other person's great grandfather.

As Y-DNA passes from father to son, does it sound right that we're a 67-1 match with 2 women in the line? We also have the same last name but our family trees appear to connect only as noted above.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this
    Y-dna is passed strictly and solely from father to son. A 66/67 match with a person of the same surname means descent from the same male ancestor. Women do not have a y chromosome and so cannot pass down y-dna.

Comment

The surname could well be the woman's father's name.

It all depends on the country you are talking about here, but for my own family tree and several of the off shoot lines that I've been researching, it has shown over and over again that many times a man takes the wife's father's name.

This is the case with farms and farm names in Scandinavia. It could explain any confusion on the name, but it will depend on the country you are talking about.

I don't know how the rules are in the rest of the world, but in Scandinavia, the above scenario happens quite often.

But, of course, the statement that Stevo made is completely true and doesn't change anything I've said.

Comment

Working...
      X