mtDNA 16256T?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtDNA 16256T?

Hi, does anyone know anything about this mutation? It's the 3rd one of my 6. The first two of mine: 16129A and 16148T, I have seen in others listed results, but I haven't come across 16256T in very many cases? But i've only started looking.....anyone know where or what groups this is commonly found in?

thanks.

>It's the 3rd one of my 6

apriljb1, please, list them all

Valery

Comment

first of all, ask your testing company whether they checked you with RFLPs. The fact is that 129-148-256 may indicate H* so more likely you have -7025AluI.
      Last edited by vraatyah; 17 December 2004, 05:05 AM.

Comment

here are all of them:

16129A
        16148T
        16256T
        16304C
        16390A
        16519C

Comment

hi,
          well i've done a bit more reading, and am really wondering now "what exactly do my mutations tell me"? I've read about the different combinations that are included in my results, but I guess i'm a little disappointed at this point, with only knowing I'm an "H", that is fairly broad-and a fairly broad group isn't it? Are there any resources anyone can suggest, that might tell me a bit more than that, based upon my mutations? Do the combinations of mutations tell where the migration pattern is?, etc. ?
          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by apriljb1
            Hi, does anyone know anything about this mutation? It's the 3rd one of my 6. The first two of mine: 16129A and 16148T, I have seen in others listed results, but I haven't come across 16256T in very many cases? But i've only started looking.....anyone know where or what groups this is commonly found in?

thanks.
            16129A is my moms and mine only mutation in stage 1

Comment

you only had the one mutation then?

Comment

you only had the one mutation then?
                yeah
                HVR1 Haplogroup
                H

HVR1 Mutations
                16129A

Comment

ok, here is my confusion then, what do the other 5 mutations for example in my sequence say? Each one of these mutations then, is a change in my group/or line? I was thinking the test would tell me a bit more, like what do the mutations say about my line? Did my line move around, etc. ? Why are some of the combinations in my mutations like my combination ofmutation 3 and 4, i believe, found for example in people in Finland, etc. ? And what is the difference between having one mutation verses 6 mutations? I was assuming each mutation is about a 10,000 year span? So, for example in your case, you are from a pretty homogenous line then, verses mine? I guess i'm still confused on what exactly this test can "really" tell one? Maybe the science is still too young yet or i'm just not getting what I want out of it I guess i'd love to really break it down to find out more, but don't think i'll be getting the next test yet, might wait a few more years when things are a little clearer as more populations become tested. I still have absolutely no matches at least in the database here.
                  a

Comment

And what is the difference between having one mutation verses 6 mutations? I was assuming each mutation is about a 10,000 year span?
                    Hi April,

The most confusing thing about mtDNA results is that the reference sequence is (by pure chance) in a small subclade of haplogroup H. A very small number of mutations only tells you that you a relatively closely related to the person who gave the sample that became the "cambridge reference sequence". Technically,...some "mutations" aren't really mutations, eg. the HVR2 mutation of 263 is the "ancestral" condition, and the CRS of "no mutation" is the actual mutation. Confusing ? Very confusing!!. Sometimes I just wish they'd make it easier on us mere mortals and figure out what the human mtDNA ancestral sequence was & make that the reference sequence (but I guess that would disrupt the academic side of things far too much & make it more difficult to compare between older & newer studies).

Thats why African MtDNA has so many mutations, - not because they actually have more mutations, but because they are far less related to people in Haplogroup H.

As for your other questions,..when I have more time I'll try to answer them..

Angela.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Denning
                      yeah
                      HVR1 Haplogroup
                      H

HVR1 Mutations
                      16129A
                      Jim thinks he perfect. =) just kidding Jim

Yea they took a woman off the street and mapped her mtDNA unfortunately she wasn't a very old person. =)

Here my result. So far I had found one person that has a perfect match with me. Between us we haven't found a matching surname on maternal line. We do come from same general area of Kentucky with his being in Virginia after that.

HVR1 Haplogroup H1*

HVR1 Mutations
                      16093C
                      16189C
                      16368C
                      16519C

HVR2 Mutations
                      263G
                      315.1C

Allen Hunt

Comment

Originally posted by A.Hunt
                        Jim thinks he perfect. =) just kidding Jim

Allen Hunt

ok al you left that hanging
                        jim thinks he perfect
                        perfect what?
                        hows that for a hanger

Comment

thanks angela. Am curious to learn more.
                          a

Comment

so, I finally found out how i was determined to be H haplogroup, they tested for base pair 7028, this is what I was told. Anyone else make more heads or tails from that?
                            a

Comment

Working...
                            X