deep clad test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deep clad test

how many people have done it and were you glad you did? what did it show you ?

Originally posted by smith1 View Post
    I submitted to do it there couple weeks ago after I got my 67 marker STR results. I'm currently waiting for results (early July) so hopefully it will be of interest.

Comment

Deep Clade

I did it for my son and for my Y donor, It's of more use if you are comparing with others who have done advanced tests, but it does further define the sub clade you belong to

MJ

Comment

I had the 37 marker test at FTDNA in 2005. Based on my results, they predicted me as R1b (now R1b1b2). Since my paternal line is Sicilian, I thought they may have predicted wrong, especially since I have a lot of off-modal marker results. Based on reading I had done before testing, I thought I would probably be E1b or J2.

So I ordered Ethnoancestry's version of a deep clade test. The result, M269+, confirmed that FTDNA's prediction was right. Also, I was S21+ (known as U106 at FTDNA). It turns out that U106 defines the subclade of R1b1b2 that's mainly found in northern Europe. There are over 300 results in the Sicily Project and I know of only myself and one other member being U106+; so this is a rare result among those with Sicilian ancestry. This seems to indicate that my paternal line at some point came from northern Europe.

After more testing at FTDNA and investigating similar results in ysearch, I found that I'm a member of an R1b-U106 cluster which is L48+ and is characterized by a null 425 result. This cluster is found at fairly high levels in England, northern France, Belgium, the Netherlands and nearby areas of Germany. It also extends south into Switzerland, Austria and Italy.

Given that I match a member of the cluster with northern Italian ancestry on a rare marker value, even for the cluster, my working hypothesis is that my paternal line came to Sicily from northern Italy and was originally Lombard, from northern Germany. The Lombards ruled most of mainland Italy in the Middle Ages and were brought into Sicily by the Normans about 1,000 years ago.

If I hadn't done deep clade testing, I would never have a clue about any of this information. So I'm quite happy with the results of doing the testing.
        Last edited by MMaddi; 12 June 2010, 10:38 AM.

Comment

I'm awaiting results on mine, due in late July. I'm predicted to be R1b1b2 based on the matches I have.

I have more than 500 matches at 12 markers (being that I'm predicted to be R1b1b2), only 2 matches at 25 markers at a genetic distance of 2 (one English, one Irish), and no matches at 37 or higher.

I have no information as to the origin of my paternal grandfather's family, though we assume Europe and Hispanic. My last name is very rare, and my family is not sure if ours is the correct spelling or pronunciation, though I suspect we are in fact misspelling and mispronouncing it -- DAWER. There are DAWERs (or variations of the name) in the UK, Germany, Poland, Arab countries, Pakistan and India -- and the confusion grows if our spelling and pronunciation is indeed incorrect.

I am doing the Deep clade test hoping it'll give me some certainty as to where in Europe I should be conducting my research, so I may be able to track down the journey my father's family took ending in the U.S. via Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by dawer View Post
            My last name is very rare, and my family is not sure if ours is the correct spelling or pronunciation, though I suspect we are in fact misspelling and mispronouncing it -- DAWER. There are DAWERs (or variations of the name) in the UK, Germany, Poland, Arab countries, Pakistan and India -- and the confusion grows if our spelling and pronunciation is indeed incorrect.
            World Names Profiler shows the surname Dawer as most prominent in the Indian state of Maharashtra, but as very rare elsewhere, so unless you feel/suspect Indian roots, you are probably right about the spelling thing.

As you possibly already know, Dawer matches these names using the Daitch-Mokotoff soundex (considered better for Eastern European names, particularly Slavic and Jewish): Dauber, Dauer, Tabber, Tauber, Tepfer, Tepper, Toyber.

Good luck with your quest. I hope DNA gives you the clue you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
              World Names Profiler shows the surname Dawer as most prominent in the Indian state of Maharashtra, but as very rare elsewhere, so unless you feel/suspect Indian roots, you are probably right about the spelling thing.

As you possibly already know, Dawer matches these names using the Daitch-Mokotoff soundex (considered better for Eastern European names, particularly Slavic and Jewish): Dauber, Dauer, Tabber, Tauber, Tepfer, Tepper, Toyber.

Good luck with your quest. I hope DNA gives you the clue you're looking for.
              Thanks! That's my hope, that it'll give me a general region so I can start eliminating the possibilities that are not such clear fits. We do believe we have Indian ancestry but on my paternal grandmother's, but on my paternal grandfather's side all we believed is that his family was from somewhere in Europe (as I said, we suspected Hispanic), so his side being Indian wouldn't be such a surprise, but given my projected haplogroup, seems rather unlikely, and hence the waiting to get the confirmed Deep Clade results, whatever they may yield.

Comment

Have done the 67 marker Y-Dna test and to date only have 1 67/67 match with a 3c1r and this validated both of our paper trails. Halogroup identified as R1b1b2.

Have also done the deep clade and recently received partial results:

Halogroup updated to R1b1b2a1b.

Shorthand: R-P312

Tests: L2-L20-L21-P312-U106-U152

I'm hoping that the total results of the deep clade will either clarify Scottish ancestry or provide a general geographical location that will answer "who am I?"

Of course, I'm patiently waiting to find that 67/67 match in that location.

Comment

I've taken it. It confirmed me as R1b1b2a1a* ... tested negative for all the downstream SNP's (for those that were offered in the deep clade test). Basically, by knowing your deep clade, it can eliminate false positive matches for all of those who have also confirmed their sub clade. Although in my case, I didn't really have any false positives to eliminate.

I think all in all, this is to better clarify from which branch your paternal line ancestors thousands and thousands years ago diverged away from the other sub clades.

If you matched others within your surname group and they have taken the deep clade test, it's likely that you will have the same sub clade. In this case, there may be no need to take the test. However, if your last name (especially in the event of a non-paternal event), matches closely with other surnames after 37 or 67 markers, then it may be wise to test your sub clade to have it confirmed.

Comment

I am in a group P312* that has look-alikes in another group L21+ who also come from similar locations. Some companies will predict that we share common ancestors not too many generations back. The deep clade test shows that the common ancestor is in fact thousands of years back. Because of this I can disregard the apparent similarity of certain families that I now know to be L21+.

Comment

I went deep clade and am now U152* or S28* or R1b1b2a1b4* or even R1b1b2a1a2d* on ISOGG.

No other subclades identified for me! I am a *

Before I did it I wasted a lot of my time comparing 'close' people on ysearch. Without the deep clade result confirming haplogroup comparing is futile in R1b1b2 anyway! R1b1b2 subclades appear similar and nothing beats a deep clade test for conformation!

GLAD I DID IT!!

Originally posted by smith1 View Post

Comment

I got mine done. Still waiting on the results though. If nothing else, I just want to know as much as I can.

For those that have had the test done, how long does it usually take to get your results for the deep clade test? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by vidkun View Post
                          I got mine done. Still waiting on the results though. If nothing else, I just want to know as much as I can.

For those that have had the test done, how long does it usually take to get your results for the deep clade test? Just curious.
                          Sure enough, as soon as I ask the question they finally add the "Pending Lab Results" section back to my account page.

Comment

Originally posted by gijoeinfinity View Post
                            I've taken it. It confirmed me as R1b1b2a1a* ... tested negative for all the downstream SNP's (for those that were offered in the deep clade test). Basically, by knowing your deep clade, it can eliminate false positive matches for all of those who have also confirmed their sub clade. Although in my case, I didn't really have any false positives to eliminate.

I think all in all, this is to better clarify from which branch your paternal line ancestors thousands and thousands years ago diverged away from the other sub clades.

If you matched others within your surname group and they have taken the deep clade test, it's likely that you will have the same sub clade. In this case, there may be no need to take the test. However, if your last name (especially in the event of a non-paternal event), matches closely with other surnames after 37 or 67 markers, then it may be wise to test your sub clade to have it confirmed.
                            Still awaiting final results on mine. For now, when I go to my haplotree page, it shows my projected haplogroup as M-269 (R1b1b2), and it has "U106-" highlighted as well as "L1-", both of which say "tested negative." I guess this means that I don't belong to that group, and the jury still out on which group I do belong to. The 26th is the due date, but the suspense is killing me.

Comment

For some reason, the report on L1 & U106 always seem to come first. The rest will appear in a few days.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Working...
                              X