Severely Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
    Well, that's great. I'm glad Rivergirl helped you to understand how things work. The problem was probably that you didn't know the right questions to ask and I and others didn't understand exactly what you were trying to find out. So the problem was on both ends.

Now that you understand things better, thanks to Rivergirl, would you like to take back the accusation that FTDNA and genetic genealogy in general is a "scam" and a waste of money?

don't know yet. There is no way to know. There is no way to prove this type of dna testing is correct and legitamate and there is also now way to disprove it as being false. So it's either worthwhile and giving us good info or it's a total waste of money and time.

Comment

Originally posted by smith1 View Post
      don't know yet. There is no way to know. There is no way to prove this type of dna testing is correct and legitamate and there is also now way to disprove it as being false. So it's either worthwhile and giving us good info or it's a total waste of money and time.
      Well, actually there is a way to possibly prove it's usefulness. In fact, you can read all kinds of success stories on this forum and there are news reports of adoptees succeeding in finding their biological father through the use of DNA testing.

In your case, you've told us that you have two 37/37 matches. That indicates a common paternal line ancestor among the three of you probably within the last 200 years, possibly a bit more. I've already suggested to you that you collaborate with those two exact matches to find at least a common location and time where two or all three of you had a paternal line ancestor living. Maybe you can find the common ancestor.

So, I'll just renew my advice and you can report back to us if you find a common ancestor or not. If you do find a common ancestor, that would indicate there's legitimate science behind all the numbers.

Comment

Years ago, when I first heard of DNA testing for genealogy & saw the price, one word came to mind, "scam". My curiosity grew, especially since I have a BA in Anthropology & after reading "The Seven Daughters of Eve", by Bryan Sykes, decided to do the mtDNA test & later, their y-DNA test. The results from Oxford did nothing to verify whether or not this technology was real.

After about a year, I switched to Family Tree DNA. Years have passed & I have had a number of cousins in different patrilines tested. In almost every case, my "faith" in this technology has been validated when two people I "know" should match, have (verified out to 37 or 67 markers), & when those who shouldn't match, haven't (ie, in most cases, they belong to different haplogroups).

My challenge to all skeptics is to test Family Tree DNA without telling them. Test yourself & two other men, one should be a known patrilineal relative, the other definitely not a patrilineal relative. Then, sit back & enjoy the show as the results come in. You will be in for a pleasant surprise. Family Tree DNA has been vindicated so many times in various families that I'm connected to that I know the same will happen here.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Originally posted by smith1 View Post
          There's also no way to know if dinosaurs are real or if they were planted in the ground by archeologists or if man did ever go to the moon

Comment

Originally posted by dawer View Post
            There's also no way to know if dinosaurs are real or if they were planted in the ground by archeologists or if man did ever go to the moon
            funny you should mention that about the moon. Because i do NOT believe we ever walked on the moon.

Comment

Seeker64,

I'm sorry to see your thread hijacked like this. Start a new thread if you have more questions. The moderator may want to shut this thread down.

Incidentally, I checked www.smgf.org for you, and you have no matches there. I also checked the German DNA Project, and I saw no DYS388=14s among the G's there.

I do think it's significant that the two approximate matches I found for you are apparently from the same area of Germany (the west, around Cologne).

Regards,
              Jim

Comment

I agree with Jim, please let's try and keep this thread on topic pertaining to the original poster.

-Darren Marin
                Family Tree DNA

Comment

Working...
                X