no 12 marker Y DNA matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no 12 marker Y DNA matches

Is it unusual to have no 12 marker matches? I thought since this was a low resolution test I would have at least one match even if it was a different surname? anyone have a list of other Y DNA databases? I upgraded to the 37 marker test, awaiting results but not sure it will help, if i dont get an exact match at 12 then 37 seems unlikely.
  • bob_allison
    • Jan 2004

On your personal details page check that the box marked "Restrict match notifications to your surname project." is not checked. It is easy to overlook.

Bob

Comment

I had my 12 marker test done almost a year ago and still have no 12/12 matches in Ysearch, Ybase, YHRD or Sorensen. We are either unique or the databases are still too small.

Tony Johnson

Comment

• AngelaC
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by cbandtech
        Is it unusual to have no 12 marker matches? I thought since this was a low resolution test I would have at least one match even if it was a different surname? anyone have a list of other Y DNA databases? I upgraded to the 37 marker test, awaiting results but not sure it will help, if i dont get an exact match at 12 then 37 seems unlikely.
        Hi,

It just depends on how different your haplotype is to the modal haplotype in your haplogroup. People who are close to the modal haplotype of, say, R1b will have many many close matches,..whereas people who have a haplotype thats distant from the modal haplotype, in for instance J or I or E3b will find that they either have very few low resolution matches, or none at all.

In a way, a rare haplogroup is good, - if & when you do have close matches within your surname, you will be more sure that the relationship is real & not a random match.

Were they able to estimate your haplogroup from your haplotype?

Angela.

Comment

Yes, I didnt do the test but its believed to be haplogroup I1c

Comment

FTDNA predicted my HG as I and Whit Athey's Haplogroup Predictor gave me a 65 score on I1c. I should have SNP results from FTDNA in a couple of weeks. My closest matches are in early Colonial U.S. , Ulster and the Scottish Border in the Johnson surname project. I have one 11/12 match in SMGF with the same surname that goes directly back to Denmark and Lower Saxony. The common mis-match is a pesky DYS19 = 14 vs a 15 for everybody else.

Tony Johnson

Comment

I match 10/12 with my surname group with 5 other participants. I am hoping it holds true at 37 markers otherwise back to the drawing board. Maybe I am a mutant? 1 of the 2 mismatches is suppose to be fast mutating.

Comment

• Keith Johnson

Probabilities slotting in

I like to see the genetic testing programme that we are all involved in as a giant computerized statistical testing machine that keeps assigning new test results to slots - those with high levels of incidence slot near the middle, those with low levels of incidence slot at the edges - but as the cascade of new results come in, all the slots start to accumulate and the pyramid builds up. Until 2 weeks ago, I had no matches in the period from October 2004. Now I have a 12=12 match with someone with a different surname. Maybe in another 18 months, I'll have one that shares my surname.

Comment

• wefpam
                  • Mar 2006

Only 1 12/12 match

Originally posted by cbandtech
                  Yes, I didnt do the test but its believed to be haplogroup I1c
                  I have only one match. He does not have my surname. I am also " I " and seem to be or close to old I1c. I see no reason to pay money to just get more markers. We need more people to test in order to go higher.
                  Because I am interested in deep history I am looking into making sure just exactly what subgroup I belong with. I hope some new history will be discovered soon, or at the very least a clear center of geogarphical area for my down stream subgroup.

Comment

• lgmayka
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by wefpam
                    I have only one match. He does not have my surname. I am also " I " and seem to be or close to old I1c. I see no reason to pay money to just get more markers. We need more people to test in order to go higher.
                    I myself had zero matches, either at FTDNA or on Ysearch, at 12 markers. The 1-off near-matches were a Croatian, a Romanian, and a Russian--not very meaningful.

Additional markers were extremely useful. At 25 markers, several entries in the Ysearch database were at a genetic distance of 5 (i.e., 20/25 matches). All these near-matches were Polish. That's a good sign since I am of Polish descent. However, FTDNA's tables indicate that 20/25 may indicate a common ancestor within the last 1000 years--not very meaningful.

At 37 markers, three entries in the Ysearch database are at a genetic distance of 6 (i.e., 31/37 matches). All three are near the Carpathian mountains: two on the Polish side, one on the Ukrainian side. (My grandparents are indeed from the Carpathian foothills.) This yDNA comparison utility

estimated the common ancestor at 450 years (for one Pole) and 540 years (for the other Pole, and the Ukrainian). Of course, that era is still long before serfs adopted surnames, so none of the surnames match.

When I get my 59-marker results, I intend to look on the Internet for email addresses of people with my surname, tell them about FTDNA, and inform them of my results. Perhaps some of them will get tested and turn out to be distant kinsmen.

Comment

Working...
                    X