Haplogroup 12a?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplogroup 12a?

Can anyone give me information on Haplogroup 12a. A friend just tested y-dna37 and was informed that 12a was his haplogroup. Not much is know about his ancestors other than a male, about 4 generations back immigrated from Europe. We have been told it was from Poland, Russia, Bosnia or Bavaria, but no one is certain.

Originally posted by JPHutchins View Post
    Can anyone give me information on Haplogroup 12a.
    I think you mean I2a. All haplogroups begin with a letter of the alphabet.

I also presume that I2a is your friend's predicted haplogroup. In order to be confirmed, he would need to be deep clade tested, whereupon FTDNA will determine which known SNPs, if any, his Y-DNA possesses that can determine his subclade. See the "I" haplotree in this diagram for an indication of applicable SNPs know to date:

http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_HapgrpI.html

As for potential origins, according to ISOGG:

"I2-M438 et al includes I2* which shows some membership from Armenia, Georgia and Turkey; I2a-P37.2, which is the most common form in the Balkans and Sardinia. I2a1-M26 is especially prevalent in Sardinia. I2b-M436 et al reaches its highest frequency along the northwest coast of continental Europe."

Comment

Originally posted by JPHutchins View Post
      A friend just tested y-dna37 and was informed that 12a was his haplogroup. Not much is know about his ancestors other than a male, about 4 generations back immigrated from Europe. We have been told it was from Poland, Russia, Bosnia or Bavaria, but no one is certain.
      I2a (probably I2a2-Dinaric in this case) is very common in Bosnia, fairly common in Poland and Russia, and not uncommon even in Bavaria. The next step would be to compare haplotypes, preferably at the full 67 markers.

Comment

Working...
      X