Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I reasonably expect from a Group Administrator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
    Maybe those who are unhappy with their admin should volunteer to be a co-admin for the project. Send the acting admin enough information to show that you know what you are talking about and that you are willing to be a helpful part of the project.

Remember the admins are volunteers. They aren't paid anything by the companies doing the testing and they aren't required to have any special training.

Gee whiz, Jim. I started this thread by stating I have been unable to get any information from the Administrator as to why I am in the unassigned group. The Admin obviously knows the answer, and it would take all of 5 minutes to respond to my query. How difficult can it be?

TT

Comment

My opinion is this. Family tree dna can do all this testing and give us lots of numbers and letters. That's it. Then it's up to a volunteer that "thinks" they understand all these results to relay that to the groups. I did not know the surname project admin's did not get paid until I read it here on this forum. Am I the only one that finds this whole process strange. The professionals test our dna and then give us a graph with letters and numbers. So what ? Whose to say the group admin's aren't totally wrong and these people in the same surname project don't even belong in the same project ? And how in the world can we blame the group admin's when they aren't even paid and are not scientists at all to start with ? Family tree DNA can give us results but the problem is we are not scientists and neither are the project administrators. I believe my surname project admin is doing his very best. But the question is "how good is his best" ?

Comment

Originally posted by swimmingly View Post
        I like the question at the start of this thread. I joined an mtdna group (H, then H1) and was happy to contribute my results. Like the person who started this thread, I am "unassigned" with no explanation as to what that implies, if anything. Our "news" is limited to a feed of general dna topics which have nothing to do with our group--they seem to come from places like twitter and probably are meant to promote certain researchers. I'm not sure why I would want to be in this group since I have zero feedback. Like the thread starter, I contacted the admin, but did not ever hear back. The group admins have a great opportunity to take our information and to give us some information that makes sense in return, increasing our interest and the likelhood that we will continue to contribute our results. I'm sure there are admins who do this very well. It would be nice if there was a standard across the board and that the clients could have some understanding of what it means to "participate" in a group.
        From what I understand, an "unassigned" person is one who has no close matches with the rest of the DNA group(s) within the project.

Are you part of a surname project? You might want to look into other projects that more closely matches your DNA signature.

Comment

Originally posted by gijoeinfinity View Post
          From what I understand, an "unassigned" person is one who has no close matches with the rest of the DNA group(s) within the project.
          Actually.... "unassigned" is the default subgroup that ALL project members are automatically placed in when they first join a project. It is then up to the project admin to move the project member to a more appropriate subgroup, if applicable.

Some project admins keep members in the unassigned subgroup if there isn't a more appropriate subgroup for them, or if they are waiting on further test results to determine the appropriate subgroup. Or, sometimes the project admin simply hasn't had time to categorize the member yet. Since all project admins are volunteers, things don't always get done immediately. Paying jobs and family usually come first But as long as the admin is active, it should eventually get done when time permits.

Elise

Comment

If you want a scientific assessment of your results or have further questions, I suggest that you contact Family Tree DNA directly.

Group Administrators cluster results, but don't really add any new information to the project, other than opinions they might express on the Project Pages about why they are testing, etc.

Family Tree DNA has built in recommendations about how to build a project website. They want to make it really easy to be a group administrator.

If Family Tree DNA imposed tough requirements on group administrators, they wouldn't have many volunteers for these unpaid positions & there would be very, very few surname projects.

Group Administrators are more like finders or greeters for new members of each project. Some do go far beyond this role, because they are passionate about the science & the results.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

If you want your results analysed go to your myFTDNA website and click on Order Personalized Report.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. A couple of you have posed reasonable rationale regarding the "unassigned" category. This is all I was expecting from the Admin -- not a comprehensive analysis of my results. Someone mentioned a surname project. MTDNA does not lend itself to such a process since the surname changes every generation.

Cheers,
                TT

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                  If you want your results analysed go to your myFTDNA website and click on Order Personalized Report.
                  yeah right ! 300 - 400 dollars !

Comment

No, a surname group would not be helpful. As I mentioned, I am in an "mtdna" group. There are no surnames.
                    I agree with the comments that a short explanation posted on the site as to what "unassigned" means and whether that will ever be changed would be helpful. It would also be helpful of there were a brief explanation of the reason for the unrelated twitter and blog feeds. Otherwise, I suppose the site is useful to the admin, and maybe that is what it is designed to be.
                    I have seen other group sites (surnames and location) that are interactive to different degrees. Most are informative, comprehensible, and interesting. That does make them appealing. My hat is off to the admins who design such sites.

Comment

A stand alone mtDNA surname group might have few, if any members, other than the founding member. So the following case may be of interest to you.

The French Heritage DNA group has both Y-DNA and mtDNA sections. If you visit the mtDNA section, you'll notice that the admins have an unassigned list there too. It's used mostly for those who don't know who their most distant matrilineal ancestors were. If the unassigned list is done well, the submitters will be listed by haplogroups, ie: H, then H1, then H1a, etc... Clearly, this simplifies comparison of everyone in a single haplogroup, which may allow matches to be found, such as when the computer matches don't always work out. But mostly because HVR 1 & 2 can be seen and sometimes you can catch a single mutation that's different.

Now, the part that stands out, however, is when the people who have joined this group, have also given their most distant matrilineal ancestors' names and surnames as well as spouses' names (for genealogical identification). So this is where the subgrouping kicks in. Each submitter is listed under the heading of their most distant ancestor's surname along with other submitters who share the same ancestor. What's the point, you may ask, since you're already matched on your FTDNA page? The point is that you may find, in such a group, the mtDNA of your other female ancestors whose mtDNA you didn't inherit. Same goes for Y-DNA surname groups, whether stand alone groups or geographical groups.

Comment

Working...
                      X