Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I reasonably expect from a Group Administrator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I reasonably expect from a Group Administrator?

I belong to the mtDNA Haplogroup H Full Genomic Sequence Project (H11). Per PhyloTree I am H11a (perhaps H11a1). My FTDNA kit # is 151816.

I show up on the H11 project as "unassigned," and have been unassigned since the get-go. Out of curiosity I have queried the Group Administrator via her listed email as to what causes me to be in the unassigned group. No response. I asked a question many months ago about something else and received no response either. Is it appropriate to ask such questions of the administrator, or should I be asking someone else?

Regards,
    Time Traveler

MTDNA: H11 (FTDNA); H11a1 (Phylo Tree 2009 Build)
    Mary Ann Kelly, Tompkins County, NY, 1825 (possibly daughter of Ann Wyckoff whose mother was Isabelle Vogan)

HVR1 differences from CRS: 16220G, 16293G, 16311C
    HVR2 differences from CRS: 195.C, 263.G, 309.1C, 309.2C, 315.1C, 523.1C, 523.2A
    CR differences from CRS: 750G, 961G, 1438G, 4769G, 5162C, 8448C, 8860G, 13759A, 15326G

Blood Type: A+

I'm not certain, but I am aware of the H group being studied at length at the moment.

In my experience, unassigned members are used as a book mark for the progress of the broader analysis.

The H project is probably among the top 3 projects for size.

Your assignment to today's Phylotree won't happen any time soon, because Family Tree DNA is not using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Time Traveler View Post
      I asked a question many months ago about something else and received no response either. Is it appropriate to ask such questions of the administrator, or should I be asking someone else?
      At the very minimum you should expect the curticy of a reply. There are some questions that no one but the project administrator can answer.

Looking at the project at http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...tion=mtresults no one but the project admin can tell you why you are unassigned. Even if the reply is "I don't know where to put you" you should expect a reply.

You might contact FTDNA to see if they can get a reply from the admin.

Comment

What can I reasonably expect from a Group Administrator?

Thanks Rucksack and Jim -

I'm not known for my patience - perhaps I will wait a little longer and see what transpires. But, I agree that some sort of response is in order.

TT

Comment

I have a group administrator that responds back. But it is obvious he is a scientist from the way he talks and I need a translator. I ask questions in plain english and he may mean well but i cannot understand anything he is saying with all the genetic terms he uses.

Comment

I suggest you purchase and read one or more of the books listed here
            http://www.familytreedna.com/books-and-videos.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
              I don't think those books have anything to do with our specific surname projects. I thought a group admin. was supposed to explain how you fit into the surname project ? If you do at all? Mine encouraged me to order the 37 marker test but now that the results are back I am no closer than i was before at finding out any FACTS. We want facts, not guesses. It appears to me the more I read this entire website and attempt to discover facts that we are only told to spend more money and order more tests. If the 37 marker test is useless then why offer it ? Is a group admin simply a salesperson for family tree dna ?

Comment

Originally posted by smith1 View Post
                I don't think those books have anything to do with our specific surname projects. I thought a group admin. was supposed to explain how you fit into the surname project ? If you do at all? Mine encouraged me to order the 37 marker test but now that the results are back I am no closer than i was before at finding out any FACTS. We want facts, not guesses. It appears to me the more I read this entire website and attempt to discover facts that we are only told to spend more money and order more tests. If the 37 marker test is useless then why offer it ? Is a group admin simply a salesperson for family tree dna ?
                The reason you've been advised to read those books (good advice) is that you seem to have a misconception about what genetic genealogy can and can't do. I'm picking that up from your use of the word "guesses," as opposed to "facts."

DNA recombines and passes along to children in a random process. There are numerous scientific studies that have established that mutations occur in that process at certain rates, but with a range of probabilities. What you may call a guess, an experienced genetic genealogist calls a probability that two men share a common ancestor within x number of generations. As you go more generations back, the probability increases that the common ancestor lived in that generation.

Your project adminstrator can not give you, as a fact, that you and someone else share a common ancestor who lived 4 generations ago. Based on comparing results, he will tell you if there's a reasonable probability that you and the other man shared a common ancestor in the last few hundred years and what's the most likely number of generations back the ancestor lived. Then you and the other man have to compare family trees to look for that common ancestor; one or both of you may need to extend your family tree back with more research in that line to find the common ancestor.

I think you'll have less frustration with genetic genealogy and understand better which tests you need to spend money on (based on what you're trying to find out) if you read the books that were suggested.

Comment

DNA Books and Videos

Which, if any, any of these resources cover the interpretation of autosomal tests in particular? I am awaiting the results of my Family Finder test and I would like to learn something about what the results of this particular test will look like and how to interpret them. I have searched the FTDNA site, but haven't found any examples and interpretations.

Based on my rather limited knowledge of DNA testing, I formed the idea that neither yDNA nor mitochondrial would be much of a help in breaking through my genealogical brick walls. This new autosomal test sounds more promising, especially if FTDNA succeeds in building up a very large database of active participants. That may be a big "if"!

Carol Anne

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                    The reason you've been advised to read those books (good advice) is that you seem to have a misconception about what genetic genealogy can and can't do. I'm picking that up from your use of the word "guesses," as opposed to "facts."

DNA recombines and passes along to children in a random process. There are numerous scientific studies that have established that mutations occur in that process at certain rates, but with a range of probabilities. What you may call a guess, an experienced genetic genealogist calls a probability that two men share a common ancestor within x number of generations. As you go more generations back, the probability increases that the common ancestor lived in that generation.

Your project adminstrator can not give you, as a fact, that you and someone else share a common ancestor who lived 4 generations ago. Based on comparing results, he will tell you if there's a reasonable probability that you and the other man shared a common ancestor in the last few hundred years and what's the most likely number of generations back the ancestor lived. Then you and the other man have to compare family trees to look for that common ancestor; one or both of you may need to extend your family tree back with more research in that line to find the common ancestor.

I think you'll have less frustration with genetic genealogy and understand better which tests you need to spend money on (based on what you're trying to find out) if you read the books that were suggested.
                    So in other words it's kinda like the weather man ? He gives us a 30% chance of rain today ? So basically the more I read the more I am told what dna cannot do. What exactly can the 37 market test do ? And if it can do that then why have I not recieved anything except numbers and letters on a graph that i do not understand ?

Comment

So in other words it's kinda like the weather man ? He gives us a 30% chance of rain today ? So basically the more I read the more I am told what dna cannot do. What exactly can the 37 market test do ? And if it can do that then why have I not recieved anything except numbers and letters on a graph that i do not understand ?
                      The attitude in your posts comes across as negative and sarcastic. You have been given excellent advice from people in the know but you don't want to accept it. There's nothing more I can do to help you.

Comment

I am now curious..
                        Why are you testing your DNA?
                        What did you expect to receive from your test?
                        and...
                        What books have you already read?
                        Last edited by mkdexter; 19 May 2010, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Get ready to duck

I strongly recommend anything by Professor Bryan Sykes for a charming and enjoyable introduction to genetic genealogy although one or two might disagree. In fact a lot might. Okay, almost everyone. It's just thee and me Bryan, your wife and your dog.

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
                            The attitude in your posts comes across as negative and sarcastic. You have been given excellent advice from people in the know but you don't want to accept it. There's nothing more I can do to help you.
                            Im sorry if I sounded negative and sarcastic. That is not how I meant to come across. I am simply trying to be realistic. And the way it seems is that the entire dna game is about probability and percentages. Not black or white or yes or no. I guess I came into it expecting too much.

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
                              I am now curious..
                              Why are you testing your DNA?
                              What did you expect to receive from your test?
                              and...
                              What books have you already read?
                              I noticed that there was a surname project with my last name so I wanted to find out if they were my cousins and approximately how close ? That's all. But it appears that the 37 marker test I took can only tell me that there is a chance that they could be my cousins. lol I suspected that before I took the test. Now my question to any of you folks who are more experienced than me is that would the 67 marker test or any other test give me defenite results about this ? I don't mean to seem rude but the whole thing is slightly comical to me because I thought test results would mean concrete answers. Not probablilties and percentages. But hey, I'm new to this so I have to learn as I go.

Comment

Working...
                              X